Jacklyn's Reviews > Angel Betrayed

Angel Betrayed by Cynthia Eden

F_50x66
Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

WARNING: I curse in here. ;)

To be honest, at first I was a little wary of this book. I mean, a succubus? I was expecting a horribly shallow femme fatale with not a lot going for her. But, the rating was a 4.37 on here, and I rarely see a book with a rating that high. After all, the first book in this series had a way lower rating.

Anyway, back to my wariness. I loved Seline. I thought the best part of her was that despite that fact that she's a succubus - sexy as hell and built for sin -, she was remarkably normal. Well, as normal as a girl can be who can only thrive on sexual energy. I liked that she knew she wasn't the strongest creature (a 4 out of 10 on the power scale, she said), but at the same time she was strong. I have no idea how to completely describe her character without making her sound like the heroine that we know we all hate. Cynthia Eden just put a good spin on an idea that could have gone just horribly wrong.

Despite my rating, however, I didn't like the beginning. To be honest, I skipped right over the prologue. I didn't care. Plus, I didn't realize that the book was going to jump right into Sam and Seline's scene. The synopsis of the book talks about Seline needing protection, but I didn't realize that the first chapter would begin with Seline asking Sam for help. I thought she was going to have to find him and convince him. I mean, he is an Angel of Death (or was? I don't know Angel lore)... I was kind of expecting him to be a little bit more ruthless with her. But as the book progressed, it suddenly clicked that when Angel's fall they get a taste of human emotions. I mean, Ms. Eden only had to spell it out how many times for me? (Whoops!).

I also have to confess that I think I'm developing a thing for Angels. But not just any Angels. Male Angels. And not pansy-ass bitch Angels, either (not to offend anyone, but that's the only way I can describe it!). SAM-like Angels. In my mind, Angels can be men or women, but in paranormal romance, I want a male Angel with the heroine, not a female Angel with the hero. Does that makes sense? Is it weird?

I don't think so. I love Sam.

But back to my review.

I was also a little hesitant about the plot line. After learning about Seline's lack of skills (besides her cursed ability to turn men on without so much as breathing), I thought to myself, "oh balls she's going to be a Mary Sue". But she wasn't! The plot line was interesting, and I actually read the entire book. Sometimes I skip over paragraphs and chapters if I think it's going too slowly. I just found it interesting. That could be, though, because I know absolutely nothing about Angel lore or anything even remotely paranormal. I don't know if anything Cynthia Eden claimed comes from legitimate beliefs, or if she was just using her creative license. Whichever it is, though, I loved it.

And I also loved that neither Sam nor Seline had an "aha! I love you!" moment. Neither one of them was brooding silently in a room and suddenly discovers these deep seeded I-won't-ever-be-able-to-live-without-you feelings. I didn't hear a church choir start in my head as doves flew overhead. Yet, we somehow know that they both love each other. Or at least, I did anyway. And I feel the need to mention that I absolutely hate it when characters have those moments. Know which ones I mean? The sappy ones where one discovers feelings of borderline psychotic dependent love on the other person? Where their heart swells ten sizes bigger and they feel so free after discovering these feelings that -gasp- the author had clearly been feeding us for the entire book? Yeah. I hate those.

But what I think really sold me on this book was that I cried. I fucking cried because of this book!

I don't think anyone really understands what this means. I never cry with books. But at the end (I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet), I was actually wiping tears away and thinking "No! No, no, NO! This can't happen!". It broke my heart.

By the way, I'm also exceedingly pleased that Sam didn't break his character. Some authors have the big tough guy that never shows emotions, and then BAM! He's crying like a baby. Sam doesn't cry, he remains the tough guy, but you know he's hurting. Basically, I like his transition from where he started out to where he ended up.

I am, however, a little disappointed that he didn't start out as ruthless as you would expect an Angel of Death to be.

SO! Despite some small little glitches that I would've liked to have happened differently, I have to give this book 5 stars. Everyone may not agree with how much I liked it, or what I liked for that matter, but that's okay.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this book has ruined every other Cynthia Eden book for me. I feel like if I attempt to read any of her other books, I'll slip back into a book hangover for this book.

But I highly recommend this book to everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Betrayed.