Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Taken by Storm

Taken by Storm by Danelle Harmon

This is probably more of a 3.5/5.0, but I rounded up to a 4/5. I liked that the hero was a veterinarian, and he was a really sweet guy. You may not like the hoydenish heroine, but she really did have her reasons for running around in pants: She was trying to protect her horse from her brother's machinations, so she stole him and ran off with him, dressed as a boy. I liked Ariadne, and I felt that her actions were justified, even though she was going against social mores and codes for that time. She was between a rock and a hard place, and her brother was a lowlife. Good thing she encountered Colin, who protected her when she intervened when a jerk was beating a cart-horse to death.

I think my bar was set high because the first book I read by Ms. Harmon was The Wicked One, which I adored, so that's why I couldn't rate this one as high. However, this is a nice, enjoyable read, with a hero who is a working man--a veterinarian. He walks with a limp from an old war injury, and carries some emotional baggage from what he saw during the Napoleonic wars (another point in this book's favor). Yet, he is a very good man that I definitely fell for as a hero. Back in those days, veterinarians didn't have much social caliber (not that this has changed much), but they were very important due to the livestock industry, and the fact that people used animals as transportation. Veterinarians probably did a better job than human doctors at treating illnesses and diseases, because the educational process was better for animal medicine. When I read this, I was impressed, because you could tell that Ms. Harmon did research the horse-breeding and veterinary medicine archives for this period. Kudos to her. Pretty solid read, and worth your time, especially if you have an interest in animals, and beta heroes, for that matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken by Storm.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Thanks, Danielle! I think I have a good picture of this one now. :) I'll start with The Wicked One, naturally. LOL!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) No problem. I realized that I hadn't marked this one read.

message 3: by Julianna (new)

Julianna Animals and beta heroes sound like a winning combination to me. I'll have to try this one sometime.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I think you'd like this one, Julie. :)

message 5: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Woohoo, I love a sweet hero! They are the best! Great review, Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Angelc. He's a bit tortured and not very open, but he's a nice guy. It was really nice to see how he treated his and communicated with his patients, and Ariadne, of course. Sigh!

message 7: by Melissa (new) - added it