Farrah's Reviews > Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed

Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed by Anna Campbell

Jul 13, 12

Read in July, 2012

This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed was a delightful romance full of secrets and hints of gothic creepiness. In other words, I loved it :)

So, this book has hints of beauty and the beast. A beautiful girl taking someone else's place in the castle of a beastly man. And of course, the girl sees past the face to fall in love. That by itself guaranteed a good story. But the author didn't stop there. She added layers of secrets and possible insanity (not one of the main couple), as well as several more little things that made this so much more than a rendition of beauty and the beast.

Sidonie (that's a cool name) was wonderful. She was strong throughout the story, even when Jonas was acting the part of the beast. But she also knew when to give in. She didn't fight against her love, she accepted it. She's been looking after her sister ever since the disaster of a marriage that got her sister bonded to an abusive husband until death do them part. So, she has been the strong one for a while. I can't really say anything bad about her. When I say that, you know that this character must be something special.

Jonas was complicated. He's had a hell of a time in his life. The amount he's been through is truly astounding. He has scars both inside and out. But even though he tries to play the part of a beast, he's not. He's still a sweet man, who is more inclined to kindness rather than cruelty. It doesn't take long for you to find out. As much as he tries to deny it, he is actually a nice guy. I do have one complaint about him, and this is a complaint big enough to knock off a point. Towards the end, he finds out that Sidonie did something. (No, I won't tell you what). I thought he had ample reason to be angry. But he didn't just get angry, he became furious and blew the whole thing WAY out of proportion, acting as if Sidonie has committed an unthinkable crime. I understood why he got angry, but I don't think he had any right to freak out the way he did. What Sidonie did was understandable and I felt like if he loved her, he should have understood her reasons. It made me really annoyed with him. This is repaired by the end, but literally at the last chapter. Even though I liked Jonas' character, that issue posed a huge problem for me.

The story is fast paced. There are no slow moments. The plot picks up immediately on the first page and keeps going right to the end. The ending was sweet. A nice happily ever after.

Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed was a lovely book, full of gothic romance and secrets. Other than that one problem, I loved it.

4/5

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed.