Blair's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

M_50x66
Jul 13, 12

Read in July, 2012

I think Brandon Sanderson has enjoyed writing the end of the Wheel of Time series a little too much. Robert Jordan put the "epic" in "epic fantasy" with that series, which is going on what? 15 books? And they are large novels at that.

In this 1200+ page opening title, Sanderson sets up a new world and new magic system that are unique - his creativity in this regard is unparalleled in Fantasy. He introduces a wide range of characters - from a surgeon/soldier to a deadly assassin to a secretive scholar to a tired warlord. Threatening signs begin to appear heralding the return of the Voidbringers - the destructors of mankind.

As is his wont, Sanderson skips around a LOT. This is even worse than Tom Clancy's works because not only does he skip around in location, he throws in reflections upon earlier times in some of the characters, making for a non-linear read.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent beginning, but similar to the first novel of the Mistborn trilogy, all this novel does is set things up for a future novel, and given that Sanderson has too many irons in the fire finishing Jordan's series and at least two other series (Alcatraz being one), fans are likely to have to wait until the end of next year at the earliest for the next installment. All I can say is that if he really is going to make this a Jordan-esque epic fantasy, he needs to put out a book per year or he, too, will die before he completes the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shannon I'm pretty sure he does plan to do one a year once the WoT commitment is over. He's pretty prolific. :)