Nancy's Reviews > Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jul 21, 12

Read from July 16 to 21, 2012

Other than the lack of medical care, the possibility of starvation and certain isolation, there is something to be said about the simpler times that are reflected upon in Little House in the Big Woods.

Laura Ingles Wilder returns to the time with her family before they moved to the prairie where their life revolved upon mere existence including Pa playing fiddle and telling stories of his time as a boy or how his father did things differently.

Ma is a stoic creature that is in constant food and sewing mode. If Pa brought it home, Ma had a way to prepare it. Be it cloth or bear meat the family must get ready for the hard winter ahead.

For me, I had to put aside the television show that I grew up with and concentrate on what Laura was telling. There are parts that are the same, the essence is there, but the book has a much slower pace. There is a sweetness to the simplicity, a closeness amongst the family and a devotion to working together to make it through.

This book is a true classic and should continue to be shared with your young ones before they become too jaded.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House in the Big Woods.

Lonny I still love this series and have the entire set...I do a reread every few years. I think I'm due for another soon!