Newport Librarians's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

It’s very hard to describe The Night Circus. There’s a circus, you see, but it’s not like any circus you or I will ever visit. It’s black and white and grey and consists mostly of tents, large and small, and strange, beautiful, amazing acts or displays or events in each. The Night Circus (which opens at sunset and closes at dawn) exists due to the efforts of two magicians – Celia and Marcus – who were bound in childhood and forced into an existential dual, with the circus as the arena and product around which they are to be judged. Eventually, Celia and Marcus meet and fall in love – and then learn that "the winner" of the competition is who is left standing – in other words, it’s a competition to the death.

A colleague of mine, David Emerson, wrote a review of The Night Circus that began like this: “Magic, mystery, romance, heartbreak, fate and free will, illusion, architecture, clockmaking, life and death, bottled stories, gourmet dinners at midnight, juggling kittens, and chocolate mice.” This is a wonderful and quite accurate snapshot of some of the elements in The Night Circus – but it is so much more as well. The “solution” that Celia and Marcus and their friends come up with is bittersweet, amazing and full of hope.

I don’t want to say more, but I highly recommend this book. And I highly recommend reading the print version. The book itself is visually incredible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.