Jodi's Reviews > Patchwork of Me

Patchwork of Me by Gregory G. Allen

Jul 14, 12

Read on July 13, 2012

Gregory Allen’s ‘Patchwork of Me’ (Winner of the 2012 International Book Awards in Women's Lit and 2012 New York Book Festival in General Fiction), is one of those novels that will change you. Allen successfully draws you into the lives of four friends who are each damaged in their own way, and dealing with personal demons.

The story centres on Sara Butler; a child shuffled through foster care until her late teens. Sara has had haunting dreams and an invisible rash that have found her on the couch of a psychiatrist; process that she isn’t fully engaged with due to her inner dialogue and the need to keep her past safely hidden. Once she opens herself to the journey she pieces together glimpses of a past and sets out on a cross country road trip to once and for all find out who the real Sara Butler is.

I felt myself identifying with the hopelessness of Sara’s feeling disengaged from her past. Her character is so well written with glimpses into the deepest recesses of her troubled mind that I lived her darkest memories and her smallest triumphs. Crying with her, giggling with her humorous attempts to keep the pain at bay and finding love in the most unlikely of circumstances.

Gregory G. Allen is the award-winning author of PATCHWORK OF ME, WELL WITH MY SOUL, PROUD PANTS: AN UNCONVENTIONAL MEMOIR, and CHICKEN BOY: THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF A SUPER HERO WITH AUTISM. He has had short stories and poetry published in: New Town Writers' anthology Off The Rocks 14, Loch Raven Review, Muscadine Lines: A Southern Journal, The Oddville Press, Word Catalyst Magazine, Rancor'd Type, Home & Holidays and is a contributor of articles and blogs to several online sites. Allen has been in the entertainment business for over twenty years as an actor, director, writer, and producer and is an award-winning musical theater writer with over ten original musicals produced. Allen currently manages an arts center on the campus of a college in northern New Jersey.

To quote Allen in his own words, ‘I love to tell stories and believe it should allow characters into different places and genres. I've always said my platform was sharing stories of adversity & diversity that cause a reader to stop and think about their own lives. Hopefully Sara Butler's journey can help to point out something from your own 'road trip' in life.’

I read this novel in a span of eight hours, unable to put it down. When you pick up this book make sure you've scheduled the afternoon off, because you won't want to let it leave your hands. The story will leave you touched in so many ways you've never imagined.

Disclaimer: This book was given to me by the author for an honest review.
Thanks Gregory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patchwork of Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Allen Thank you so much for the review...your words are very kind. And a huge thanks to World Lit Cafe for introducing us!

Jodi It has been my pleasure to read 'Patchwork of Me' and to get to know you. WLC is a great way to connect with authors and reviewers, so glad we did.