Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural

Murder by Magic by Rosemary Edghill

Oct 15, 09

bookshelves: anthology, occult-detective, fantasy, urban-fantasy, owned-copy
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) by: Amazon.com
Recommended for: Fans of occult and paranormal mystery genres
Read in January, 2008 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I really enjoyed this anthology, although it took me a while to read through. I can honestly say that every story was unique. There was a slight lean towards higher fantasy and/or historical fantasy that was interesting, as I was expecting a modern occult detective slant. But that is just my presupposition of this volume.

My favorite story in this collection, hands down, was 'Dopplegangsters' by Laura Resnick. I thought it was very clever. Made men aka mafiosos are being preyed upon by a supernatural presence that is pretending to be each one of them, right at the moment of their death while they are physically elsewhere, in other words a dopplegangster. I have never felt sorry for mafia types, but I almost did in this story. Apparently Ms. Resnick is releasing a novel-length version of this story soon. Sign me up.

I was a little disappointed in one story which had a decided judgmental cast about a famous murder case about ten or more years ago. I know it's fiction and an author is free to follow her creative urges, but in this country people are innocent until proven guilty (although it doesn't seem like it sometimes), even if you don't like the verdict. One of my big pet peeves is being preached to or heavy-handedly being morally led by a story, and that tale definitely was guilty of this. Too bad. I enjoyed it very much until I realized what case the author was writing about. Not impressed at all with that.

Otherwise I loved the stories in this collection. There's a little bit of everything. In fact, I think the authors were impressive in their creativity and their storytelling. It's more along the lines of paranormal mystery, so don't look for too many mythical beasties in this one. The good news is I made some notes on authors I want to read such as the prolific Mercedes Lackey, who I had not read up until this point.

If you like fantasy involving magic mixed with crime-solving and murder mysteries, you should read this one. Also it has a fantastic little afterward discussing the evolution of occult detective novels. I furiously wrote down every book and story discussed to add to my to read list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder by Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Great review D!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Tammy. This was a fun collection.

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Review Danielle!

message 5: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully "but in this country people are guilty until proven innocent"

I'm sure you didn't mean it THAT way Dr. D ;-)

And let me guess - OJ?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, thanks for catching that, Scully. Right you are.