Harold's Reviews > Blood Alley

Oct 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: crime-fiction-mystery, noir
Read from July 13 to August 01, 2012

Really three and a half stars but I'll err on the side of caution. Over all a good read. It kept me interested all the way through and I liked the 40s noir feel and the New York City geography lesson that played so importantly in the plot. I enjoyed it but it lost a couple of stars from me because the characters never really engaged me. They remained one demensional and served their plot function but they never quite came alive for me. Ultimately they said and did things that I don't think people in their situation would really do.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Alley.

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Was this a movie? The description sounds like one of those noir Daishell Hammett type novels with a reporter rather than a private eye.

Harold There was a John Wayne movie named Blood Alley. No relation to this book.

Definitely noir - maybe even self consciously so. This book was a Kindle daily deal. It looked good to me so I scored.I'm about 15% in and digging it.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Cool! I don't know about Kindle daily deals. I've currently read myself into the Valley of the Little Big Horn. I'm reading three books at once, and feeling like one of my Goodreads friends needs me to finish up and start another book that she read and wants to discuss. I guess as problems go, it's a good one to have. Retirement would definitely suck with no good books to read.