Catherine Howard's Reviews > Criminal

Criminal by Karin Slaughter

Jul 13, 12

Read in July, 2012

Karin Slaughter is just getting better and better with every book—which is not something you can say about every genre writer who manages to release a book a year. (Harlan Coben, I'm looking at you.) In CRIMINAL, the reader is treated to two story lines, one in the steamy, mid-70s Atlanta where racial and gender discrimination is rampant, and one in present day Atlanta with our old friends Will, Sara and Faith. Evelyn Mitchell and Amanda Wagner feature in both timelines; we get to see Evelyn and Amanda start their friendship in a ADP that treats women like second class citizens. I don't want to say too much about the plot, but I stayed up until 4am (on a weekday!) to get to the end.

Usually when an author has re-occurring characters you can pick up any book in the series and start there, but while you can also do that with CRIMINAL, I think you'd be losing out, because where this book really packs a punch is in its revelations about the characters we've come to know so well. (That I *feel* like I know well, anyway!) So if you've never read a Slaughter before, I wouldn't recommend you start with this one—but after reading this one, boy would I recommend that you start!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criminal.