Ann-Marie's Reviews > The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights

The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey

Jul 13, 2012

Read on July 13, 2012

This book was not at all what I was expecting (which I thought would be a flat, plain retelling of a fairytale I wasn't very interested in... hmmm why did I decide to read it in the first place if I was that much of a pessimist...uh right, back to the review!) What a wonderful surprise this book turned out to be. In the first few pages it sets the scene, tone and depiction of character. The story (and subsequent stories in the book as told by Shahazad) were just magical. Page turning. Exquisitely written. The characters were a touch cliché but being a fairytale retelling you can over look that surely. The main villains in the story were a tad slow to turn up, but then with her King's decree hanging over her head I suppose he was enough darkness to begin. I did find the relationships so detailed and well formed at the beginning of the story, for example Shahrazad and her sister Dinarzad as well as Sharhrayar and his brother Shazaman, seemed to disappear in the middle of the tale and resume at the end. I did like the political scheming to bring down the usurpers, it was not too intricate or complex.

So for a book I thought would be a 'yeah, it was ok' kinda rating, Cameron Dokey's Storytellers Daughter has come very very very close to my favourite stories of all time. I guess that's the thing, you never know when a book is going to surprise you! Happy reading!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller's Daughter.

Sarah.kh.523 enjoy your reading .. and what your opinion about your book ??