Amy's Reviews > Towards a Philosophy of Education: Volume VI of Charlotte Mason's Homeschooling Series

Towards a Philosophy of Education by Charlotte M. Mason

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: homeschooling
Recommended for: anyone who homeschools their children
Read in November, 2008

Charlotte Mason, who wrote nearly a hundred years ago but I find still timely now, envisions an education for everyone not with the purpose of future job training or material gain but for the enrichment of each individual's soul. This education is achieved through a wide and varied reading. In her words, "Treat children in this reasonable way, mind to mind; not so much the mind of the teacher to that of the child . . . but the minds of a score of thinkers who meet the children, mind to mind, in their several books, the teacher performing the graceful office of presenting the one enthusiastic mind to the other." If they do this, with books that are well planned "so that the knowledge is not scrappy and insecure," they gain food for their souls that can benefit them their whole life. I have been trying to follow her lead for two years now as I educate my family, and while my efforts have been far from perfect, the results have been promising. My favorite book I have ever read on education, "Towards a Philosophy of Education" is one I plan to reread frequently because I highlighted nearly 25% of what I read. Again, in her words that I have found true in my family, "The introduction of the methods I advocate has a curious effect on a whole family . . . . The whole household thinks of and figures to itself great things, for nothing is so catching as knowledge and that fine temper of mind that knowledge brings with it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towards a Philosophy of Education.