Bethany's Reviews > Keep Holding On

Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti

Jul 12, 12

I feel like this review is similar to Tod Strasser's Give a Boy a Gun. I didn't particularly like either book but I feel that the topics addressed in each are important enough to give it a better rating than the writing deserves.

Colasanti's writing always seems stilted to me and this book was no different. I just don't care for her style and flow (or lack of). Writing a book about bullying is a difficult task. The main character has to toe the line of being a victim but not a dead weight that pulls the book down. For me, Noelle was dragging everything down. She was hard to like, when really I should have been rooting for her. Perhaps what annoyed me the most was her passionate entreaty to her classmates about bullying after a student commits suicide. I would have loved to inwardly cheer her on but all I could think about was the fact that Noelle herself was almost a bully to the girl--constantly ignoring her and brushing her aside, never once standing up for her or being her friend.

Still, I guess this book would be good for young adults to get the point of view from the perspective of the bullied.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep Holding On.