itpdx's Reviews > Buffalo for the Broken Heart: Restoring Life to a Black Hills Ranch

Buffalo for the Broken Heart by Dan O'Brien

Oct 17, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from October 14 to 17, 2012

This is a wonderful book. Dan O’Brien writes about his experiences owning and running a ranch in South Dakota that he decides to convert from cattle to buffalo. Along the way he tells stories of his predecessors, the land and his neighbors as well as the buffalo that he gathers. I laughed at his gentle humor and shed tears as he describes his own over the tragedy that neighbors suffer. He agonizes over the decisions that he (and other ranchers and farmers) has to make. He paints a wonderful portrait of his land. One of the reasons I read is to experience vicariously lives that I never will--both the things I have in common with others and those that are different. O’Brien has given me a moving description of his own challenging and interesting life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffalo for the Broken Heart.

Quotes itpdx Liked

“You can only look forward to a South Dakota winter if, as with childbirth, remodeling a house, or writing a novel, you're able to forget how bad it was the last time.”
Dan O'Brien, Buffalo for the Broken Heart: Restoring Life to a Black Hills Ranch