Lindsay's Reviews > The Best of Me

The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks

Jul 12, 12

Read from June 09 to 10, 2012

If you are a huge Nicholas Sparks fan then just stop reading this review because you probably won't agree with anything I'm going to say. If you are ambivalent about him and sometimes enjoy his stuff, sometimes don't then continue on. This review is for you.

I fall in the ambivalent category. Sometimes his stories are unique and fascinating and wonderful. Sometimes they are predictable, drag on aimlessly, and are generally somewhat outlandish. This falls into the latter category. I have a compulsive need to finish everything I start so I finished this book but I was completely uninterested in the last half of the book. It follows the typical Sparks romance path: boy loves girl, girl loves boy, something happens to drive them apart, they come back together, sad ending. Except that it was so predictable that I wasn't even sad just a little by the end. I was just glad to be done with the silly book. The other good thing is that since they are such simple reads that meant only another couple hours of reading. Flat characters trying too hard to be deep, many implausible story micro-plots, too quaint of an ending. Snooze basically. If this still sounds interesting then by all means, dive in. If you were on the fence hopefully I've convinced you that it isn't worth you time.

As an aside, the Cole family reminded of "The Wild And Wonderful Whites of West Virginia." So that was mildly entertaining but also possibly something that colored my view of the rest of the story.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Me.

Areli I am one who likes some of Sparks' books, but not others. I also have the need to finish every movie and book I start. I agree 100%. This was not the best of Nick at all.