Laura Kaye's Reviews > Smooth Talking Stranger

Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

Jul 12, 2012

Read in July, 2012

I've been devouring the Travises (or, heh, I WISH I really was... ;) ), and I really enjoyed Jack Travis in Smooth-Talking Stranger. Honestly, it was a little bit different from what I expected. In the first two books (Sugar Daddy and Blue-Eyed Devil), Jack is portrayed as such a shameless ladies' man without much depth (aside, perhaps, from his close connection to his younger sister in book 2) that I expected a lot more of the same in Smooth-Talking Stranger. But Jack turns out to be emotionally deeper, more mature, and more level-headed/dependable than I'd expected, and it made him all the sexier. Another surprise for me here was that the book was not all about sex, which was how I expected someone with Jack's prior characterization to work his way into the heroine's heart. In fact, I think Smooth-Talking Stranger had less sex than Blue-Eyed Devil, although tons of good sexual chemistry. I didn't mind that, really, just another way the book turned out to be more than I anticipated. And if daddies are sexy to you, you get lots of big, tough, strong, sexy Jack going all paternal on the heroine's nephew.

Of all the heroines in the series so far, Ella is perhaps my least favorite. I still liked her, but I just found Liberty and Haven more compelling, relatable and sympathetic. Nonetheless, Jack and Ella are really good together, and I especially enjoyed the way the characters developed together over the course of the book. I was definitely routing for them, especially when a somewhat surprise ending seemed like it might rip them apart.

Love the series. Want more. Now! LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smooth Talking Stranger.

09/02/2016 marked as: read