Reena Jacobs's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: 2010-reads, reviewed

There was a lot to like about Shiver. Not one of my favorites, but definitely a decent read.

Grace was an interesting character. My first impression was she acted too grown up for a seventeen year old. It took me a while to warm up to her because of it. (tee hee…did you catch my pun? “warm up” Okay that was lame. Moving on.) It wasn’t until later when her situation became apparent that her personality began to fit in my mind. Sometimes experiences do make children grow up a little fast. Sad, but true. Truly Grace was aged before her time.

Certainly Sam was an important character. Even though he had his own POV in the story, for some reason he just didn’t seem to take lead as I’d expect a main character to do. He seemed to play second fiddle to Grace. Not sure if this is what Ms. Stiefvater intended when she wrote the two POVs, but that’s how it played out to me. And it was certainly okay in my mind. A lot of romances are like that, with the female having more of a presence than the male. I wasn’t bothered, it just an impression which stayed with me. If I could put some adjectives to Sam’s name they would be Loyal, Chivalrous, Persevering.

So, I’m looking at my earlier notes and found I had a lot of questions at the beginning of the novel. The answers were answered later in the book, but I remember being very confused early on and asking the question “what are the rules?” I didn’t like the vagueness. In truth, I believe it was a main reason I had such a difficult time investing in the novel. It wasn’t until the rules about transformation and such became concrete that I was able to really get into the book. In a way, I guess it was fitting since Grace didn’t really know all the rules herself. Sam certainly was more familiar, but he wasn’t keeping me privy to all the hush, hush secrets about lycanthropy.

One of the things I found fascinating was Grace and Sam’s relationship. They reminded me of an old married couple many times in their mannerisms. They seemed comfortable with each other. It was almost as if they’d spent the last six years in each others company and not just a few weeks (or whatever the time period was). It was odd to see their relationship at that maturity level when really everything was so fresh to them.

That Grace was the sexually assertive one, also surprised me. Even though I’m a prude and want all children to wait before engaging in sex, I found this novel modern in its presentation. Like many YA shows (Kyle KY, Vampire Diaries, Smallville, Pretty Little Liars), teens are doing the “deed.” It saddens me so little thought goes into sharing an experience which should be special. Yes, quite a few teens are having sex, and Ms. Stiefvater didn’t put anything on the table which wasn’t already there. I’d be naive to think they weren’t. And it’d also be silly to think the heavy petting and spit exchange wasn’t a common occurrence amongst some teens. I was a kid once too, despite my archaic mentality. I just hope I’ve talked to my kids enough about the emotional side of sex that they know when the time come it should be a special for them and not something to give away lightly, regardless of the way the media portrays it. Like I said. I’m a prude despite my fondness for writing and reading erotic literature and talking about sex in general.

Now keep in mind, I just started reading the YA genre this year as an adult. I’m told this genre can incorporate a lot of adult issues while remaining YA. I think Shiver has one foot planted in the YA world, while crossing into the adult mentality. End the end, I have to say Ms. Stiefvater did an excellent job. Cause really, isn’t that what it’s like being a teen? Not quite a child, but definitely not a adult. The in between.

Shiver ended rather abruptly. I certainly wasn’t ready for the ending and neither was my daughter. After she finished Shiver she came to me with the same thoughts. The story didn’t quite seem finished. Well, I mentioned in an earlier post that I won Linger from Arena (The Nerd’s Wife Blog). So now I just have to wait until my daughter finishes hording it. I’m certainly looking forward to it.

So before I wrap up, a few favorite lines:

I remember being intrigued by the idea of school-in-a-box, just-add-water-and-Sam.
You’re like a song I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again.”
I turned down the heat — Sam had it set to hell — and shoved my backpack down by my feet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.