Sarah's Reviews > Shine Shine Shine

Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: three-star-reviews

See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

This was an intriguing, but very strange, book. None of the characters are particularly easy to like, and maybe hard to identify with, but you still empathize with them, especially as the book delves into their backstories. It's set against the backdrop of locales as exotic as Burma and as every-day as a small coal town in Pennsylvania. As the book jumps between the present-day and the past, going all the way back to Sunny's birth, you get a real feel for what has shaped them into the people that they became. It's an interesting study of difficult people having difficult relationships and loving each other anyway.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the book at first. The author has an almost stream-of-consciousness style to her writing, and the story jumps around frequently in time, but once I got used to it, it was easier to follow. It works on some levels as social commentary about what people do to fit in and be accepted, and what happens when people stop playing by the rules. I don't think it's a book for everyone, but if you're interested in a story about love, death, and the moon, I'd say to give it a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine Shine Shine.