Ann's Reviews > Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

Dec 18, 08

bookshelves: actionadventure, comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, young-adult
Recommended to Ann by: Katie and Tyler
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

What an incredibly delightful book!
A fast-paced, easy-to-read, first person account of Alcatraz Smedry, a foster kid who has a knack for breaking things. But we soon learn that this "knack" is really a Talent - a Smedry Talent - and powerful one at that!
Alcatraz's world is turned upside down (or maybe right-side up) when he learns that the world we live in (the world of the Hushlanders) is actually run by evil librarians from the Free Kingdoms (where they know the truth...). Alcatraz must help retrieve his stolen inheritance, the Sands of Rashid, from the evil Dark Oculator.
And yet, there's so much more to this book! It's full of witty narrative and clever plot twists (yup, still trying to wrap my head around the last few!). The author pokes fun at numerous things, jobs, etc., and while this could offend some people, I don't think it's meant to, as he even pokes fun at authors! More so, I took it as pretty insightful commentary on society (but in a fun, non-snobby way). Also, some readers might find the author's constant "interruptions" annoying - but I found them hilarious and delightful! Moreover, (despite his efforts), you find yourself caring about the characters and pulling for them.

This is a very different style, and a very unique take on a classic plot. I highly recommend it!!

PS - The only reason I didn't put this on my "non-fiction" shelf is to protect Alcatraz from the Librarians...

PPS - Got this at the author talk/signing! Sanderson seems very nice and was quite chatty!:D I'm looking forward to reading this as it's come pretty highly recommended.:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.

11/13/2008 page 48
12/13/2008 page 260
84.42% "Almost done! What a fast read!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by X (new)

X Awesome that you got to meet the author! Hope you enjoy the book. :)

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Thanks! I hope so, too! So far I like it.:) It's different, which is kind of nice.

Kathryn I hope you enjoy it as much as Tyler and I did! :-) It'll be neat seeing your perspective since you met the author BEFORE you read the book, vs. how I had read the book first.

Kathryn Haha, that's a FABULOUS review, Annie! And, thanks for protecting Alcatraz by not putting it on the "non-fiction" shelf! ;-p I'm glad you liked it, too!

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Yes, thanks for the recommendation, Kathryn!:D I really enjoyed it!!

And yeah, Chandra, I think anyone who goes into Library Science should read this - at least they'll know what they're getting themselves into ;>

Jasmine Thompson I already finished the book like a week ago and got 80 percent . YES!