Melissa's Reviews > Fevre Dream

Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: fiction

Yes, I did pick this up because it is about Vampires, it was also to see if I would like to read more of Mr. Martin’s work. One of the main assets of this book is its setting: never heard of a vampire story set on a steamer along the Mississipi. Mr Martin gathers a grim, gothic atmosphere as black as the sudden storms that devastate the river. Another asset is the extraordinary characterization: through a partly original idea about the nature of vampires the author creates three extraordinary main heroes who develop a complex intertwined relationship. Each character, even the minor ones, is obsessed with something: power, lust, steamboats, etc. and each obsession is interwoven in his nature. But somewhere about 2/3 into the story it lost something. It lost its momentum, some kind of spark. Just when finally everything starts picking up speed, we're back to a wordy (but very well-written) stance about ships and the many shades of the river. This form of attention picking goes on and on until the lengthy but still effective climax. Overall I did enjoy the story and I was impressed with how well written it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fevre Dream.