Kim Bowen's Reviews > Shadow of Night

Jul 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012
Read in July, 2012

I realized within the first two chapters I needed to re-read Discovery of Witches. Deborah begins exactly where the first one ends and I had forgotten too much of it to follow what was happening. I remembered why I liked the first one so much. The characters were well-developed and there was action and romance. It wasn't perfect...but it was a great first book. I had high hopes for the second book in the series....and I was very disappointed. It was actually boring in many parts! Too many characters and very few of them developed enough for me to care about them or want to know them better. I was often frustrated with the lack of engagement between Matthew and Diana. Their chemistry was a major factor in my enjoyment of the first book. The one gave us brief glimpses but not nearly enough.

Please Deborah.....resist the urge to dive so deeply into the details of research and political intrigue and give us more Matthew and Diana! You have a wonderful imagination and it is obvious you have thoroughly researched historic events. I just want to lose myself in a fantasy world without the detailed history lessons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of Night.

Kelsey I'm right there with you! Boring at parts and waaaayyy too many details. Stephen King would be so proud.

Angie D AGREED! Boring supplemental characters, painful to read at times, and way too many insignificant details.