Cindy's Reviews > The Lost Soul Companion: A Book of Comfort and Constructive Advice for Black Sheep, Square Pegs, Struggling Artists, and Other Free Spirits

The Lost Soul Companion by Susan M. Brackney

Nov 02, 08

bookshelves: 2008-read, reference-writing-self-help
Read in November, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This is a strange little book! But I read it through with the intention of finding something that resonated with me and getting some benefit from the hour I had lost! Well I found it. In dealing with meanies, the author wrote: "I don't need to tell you this, but there are some really horrible people in the world. People who want to see you fail. People who delight in your misfortune....." and in dealing with these meanies, the author wrote, "No matter what, remember this: you can only have enemies if you allow yourself to have them. If someone tries to engage you in some miserable, bilious conflict, don't give such nonsense your time or energy. I realized that my life is too short... You only have so long to offer your wonderful gifts to the people who deserve them, so don't waste your time on bad people."
After finding this little gem of wisdom in the book, wouldn't you know, I found another piece of wit. On giving yourself to others, the author wrote: "There's a lot to be said for giving of yourself to others, trusting people, showing your delicate underbelly a little more quickly than everyone else does. That sort of goodwill is, for the most part, contagious...even if it doesn't seem readily apparent."

Even though I rated this book as just ok, I have just written my longest review on a book! Someone else may perhaps find their own piece of wisdom from this book. Just send me a note if you would like my copy of this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Soul Companion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Well, damn. I was hoping that this book might be enlightening, but it just sounds cheesy based on your review.

I'm sick to death of showing my goodwill to others. I'd rather stay in bed!