Jodie's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: love-love-love, series-i-have-yet-to-complete
Read from July 15 to 16, 2012

I’ve read these 3 books from the Alex Craft series in quick succession. I couldn’t put them down. Although I was hooked on the first two, this book made me anxious right up until the 99% mark. It was intense.

This book has Alex setting up her new PI business, dealing with her planeweaver abilities, and investigating a stream of suspicious suicides for her first client.

What I love about Alex is that she isn’t stupid. She considers the consequences to her actions and tries to get help from the authorities before taking matters into her own hands. She does make mistakes, but it’s not as if anyone is helping her to make better decisions or sharing information. I love that Alex doesn’t come across as cocky, but I wish she was more confident and stood up for herself and her abilities. Her blindness is a huge vulnerability and I love that she has started to factor it in when making decisions. Alex puts her friends in front of herself but I only wish they would show a bit more appreciation for her. I thought her interactions with Roy were great, and am looking forward to finding out what the future holds for him.

Her friends pressured her into attending the Equinox ball in Faery, even after she relayed all the things that could go wrong, and what did they do? Drag her there. Then desert her leaving her to go toe to toe with the Winter Queen. Fallin. I understood that Caleb was pissed about the weekly raids ordered by the Winter Queen and wanted her to choose a court or declare being an independent, but instead of explaining the different courts and assisting her to make a decision. He just kind of gave her the cold shoulder. I enjoyed her friendship with Rianna, but I didn’t get why she didn’t arm her with the information about the courts either. After all, she has lived there for hundreds of years.

When it comes to the men in her life, this book doesn’t give us any answers. Last book focused on her relationship with Fallin whereas this book showed us more of Deaths background and his love for Alex. I hated that Fallin was being puppeteered but still managed to lead her on with snippets of affection and red roses. I know Alex will eventually have to make a decision, but I can’t for the life of me work out how either will come to fruition. Last book I desperately wanted Fallin to find a way to break free, and this book I can see that Alex has a deep emotional connection with Death and that he may very well be the one for her.

I was left with many questions and feel dis-satisfied with the answers received so far. I want Alex to push harder for answers. Particularly with her father. What is his agenda? What was her mother that she needed to shield herself with a charm? What did he mean that her siblings were backups? What debt will she be called upon to pay the mender? What is the significance of owning Colemans properties in Faery? Can Alex take the Winter Queen out?

Am desperately hoping that the next book sheds more light on the different courts in Faery as well as her family history…Can’t wait for more Alex Craft!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.

07/16/2012
100.0% "Oh gods, what an ending! My brain has deserted me after such an intense ride. I couldn't even tell you what team I'm on?"