Tori's Reviews > The Truth About Forever

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: own, favorites, realistic-fiction, for-school
Read in June, 2008

I LOVE this book. I've read it twice and it never gets old. Macy is still grieving her father, and thinks that being perfect will prevent her from getting hurt again. But after joining a crazy catering service, she learns chaos is okay. Unfortunately her mother doesn't. I love all the characters in this book too. Monica is just awesome. Kristy, even though she has scars is determined to have everyone see her differently. Bert is hilarious most of the time, and Wes is just so Wes. I think all the problems this family has took a while to work through, but they did it. And it does take a while to get over a loss, and people grieve at different paces. Loved this book! One of my all-time favorites. I've ben meaning to re-red it too, glad I finally got to that.
~Tori

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Forever.

Quotes Tori Liked

Sarah Dessen
“I don't get it,' Caroline said, bemused. 'She's the only one with wings. Why is that?'
There were so many questions in life. You couldn't ever have all the answers. But I knew this one.
It's so she can fly,' I said. Then I started to run.”

Sarah Dessen
“It was just one of those things," I said, "You know, that just happen. You don't think or plan. You just do it.”

Sarah Dessen
“If this was my forever, I wouldn't want to spend it here. ”

Sarah Dessen
“It's just that...I just think that some things are meant to be broken. Imperfect. Chaotic. It's the universe's way of providing contrast, you know? There have to be a few holes in the road. It's how life is.”

Sarah Dessen
“Okay,' he said. He took a breath. 'What would you do, if you could do anything?'
I took a step toward him, closing the space between us. 'This,' I said. And then I kissed him.
Kissed him. There, in the middle of the street, as the world went on around us. Behind me, I knew Jason was still waiting for an explanation, my sister was still lecturing, and that angel still had her eyes skyward, waiting to fly. As for me, I was just trying to get it right, whatever that meant. But now I finally felt I was on my way. Everyone had a forever, but given a choice, this would be mine. The one that began in this moment, with Wes, in a kiss that took my breath away, then gave it back- leaving me astounded, amazed, and most of all, alive.”

Sarah Dessen
“We'd start slow, the way we always did, because the run, and the game, could go on for awhile. Maybe even forever.
That was the thing. You just never knew. Forever was so many different things. It was always changing, it was what everything was really all about. It was twenty minutes, or a hundred years, or just this instant, or any instant I wished would last and last. But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, as I ran with Wes into that bright sun, and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now.”

Sarah Dessen
“But I'd long ago learned not to be picky in farewells. They weren't guaranteed or promised.
You were lucky, more than blessed, if you got a good-bye at all.”

Sarah Dessen
“But if everything was always smooth and perfect, you'd get too used to that, you know? You have to have a little bit of disorganization now and then. Otherwise, you'll never really enjoy it when things go right.”

“Honestly," I said.
What?"
Come on. You have to admit it's sort of ridiculous."
What is?"
Now that I had to define it, I found myself struggling for the right words. "You know," I said, then figured Kristy had really summed it up best. "The sa-woon."
The what?"
Wes, come on," I said. "Are you seriously not aware of how girls stare at you?”

07/01/2010 page 1
0.0% "I can't help it! I love this book too much! :3" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cara At least I own this one! So have you decided to do your summer reading assignment on this book? and I have to say I feel real bad for you. I never had to do work over the summer for school.

Tori My mom says the same thing. She never had this much work (OMG, sorry, I just compared you to my mom). But, yeah, I think I'll use this one. Just listen seemed kinda good too, but I think I'll just use this one. It's almost my all-time favorite book.

message 3: by Cara (last edited Jul 22, 2009 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Don't get me wrong school is a lot of work but it just seems wrong to be doing it in the summer is all. Don't worry people mistake me for a grandma all the time! JUST JOKING! Most of the time I'm asked if I'm fifteen. Sigh. Nothing wrong with that if that's your age but as you get older it gets annoying.
It's one of my favorites too:) I always think about the song by (I think) the Goo Goo Dolls that talks about something like " I'll stay with you......I can feel the storm insides you..." Obviously I'm forgetting a lot of words. Can't blame me! My old age and all:)

Tori I know. School is so much friggin work, then they have to ruin my summer with this. I mean, I can find plenty of symbolism when I read, but I don't wanna find symbols for the characters. Like, Macy's mom can be symbolised by a rock 'cause she's as stupid as one. YOu know? I can't think of any symbols! You are not a grandma. Hey, it's cool. I get asked if I'm 2 sometimes. Actually I get asked if I'm 17 sometimes.
I love that song! But whenever I read this book, I HAVE to listen to 'someone wake me up' by The Veronicas. I don't know why. It just fits so well.

message 5: by Cara (last edited Jul 23, 2009 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!! A rock that is so precious! I think that is actually a pretty good symbol but I doubt your teacher will accept it. Still funny though:) I actually haven't heard of that song before. (insert me putting up a shield with my hands!) Don't hurt me! I promise to look it up and listen to it.
I really like the song too but I haven't heard it in awhile so words escape me. Tell me how you are doing on finding the symbols. You must be having oddles of fun with that:D
BTW I heard the new song Battlefield from Jordin Sparks. It's good and I can see why you felt like the song (pardon the chessiness that is about to happen..) spoke to you. I actually saw her singing it on Regis & Kelly, and now that you told me about it I'm hearing it everywhere. Figures doens't it?

Tori Rocks are cool. I don't think it's acceptable though. You should listen to it. It rules. I won't hurt you for that. I will keep you alive so you can learn the ways of good music.
I've found 0 symbols. It's going great! And I haven't finished the book for history or finished the 20 page math packet or do my stupid chem project on zirconium, though I did start the research. But I did feed a squirrel crackers today!! I love that song. :) I sing it to myself, I know, I'm a freak. It's a little cheesy, but a lot of songs speak to me.
~Tori

Cara Thanks for sparing me:) 0 symbols doesn't sound like a good start. Let me think of some but right now I'm totally drawing a blank. Sorry to hear about all the work:( I mean that totally sucks! SUCKS!!!!
You are not a freak if you sing to yourself. Quite the opposite actually. I would challenge anybody to say that they don't sing to themselves! As far as I know most people do except maybe... people who hate music which in and of itself is certainly impossible.
BTW I really HATED chemistry. The labs (a lot of these) were sometimes fun but not the work to go with them. All we did pretty much were labs and I really don't like labs. Sigh. I'm gonna have to get over that eventually.

Tori It takes a while for me to finish it all. But I usually get it all done. I just hate all the work. It's lame. I love singing to myself. Even if it sounds pretty bad 'cause I have headphones in. People who hate music should die. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it too. I hate most sciences even though I passed with an A in Bio last year. I still don't like it. You should just put school out of your mind. It's useless anyways.
~Tori

Cara I actually liked Bio more than Chemistry. I got an array of grades in it but I did end with an A on the last semester so just because you don't like it obviously doesn't mean you can't get a good grade.
I do that too. Singing with the headphones on and I know I sound more than horrible but what can I say the music moves me! Believe me you can't be worse than me.
I know school is kind of.... well sucks. I'm gonna take your advice. What we were talking about again?

message 10: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Bio was easy, but I still didn't like it. Science is boring. My mom tells me I sound like a dying cow. Not good. I love music. Its my life, with books of course. School sucks. Um, how school is useless..?

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I was just kidding. I knew what we were talking about it was just a joke to show I was going to put school out of my mind. Well I've never been told that I sound like a cow but I have been told that it sounds like I'm going to drown so I think I win.
So how are you coming along with the symbols?

message 12: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Oh... I'm slow, sorry, that totally went over my head. Drown? That's new. Pretty cool. I think you may win. I've still got nothing. And it's the weekend now, I'm not doing any work.

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara No you aren't slow it just wasn't a good joke. Sigh. It just isn't my day I guess. HA HA good excuse the weekend! I'm with ya though. Who wants to be serious on the weekend? I certaintly don't!

message 14: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Don't worry, tomorrow will be better. I'm not even serious during the week, forget the weekend. I'm not doing squat.

message 15: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Tsk tsk what would your teachers say?

message 16: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I don't know and I don't care. I don't wanna have to deal with them until September 3rd. I get to start school in September this year, not August. Cool, huh?

message 17: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yes but I would expect that since you got out of school sooooooooooooo late! I once went to a school where I started in September. It's much better not as hot and you feel like you really had a summer vacation.

message 18: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Well, for a few years we've been starting school like August 28th or something close to that. I thought it was a bit stupid, but this year I feel like I've actually had a whole summer. Well, here September is just as hot as August so it still kind stinks, but whatever.

message 19: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah it is hot must of the time but it just makes more sense you know? My summer is coming to an end too quick so I'm kind of sour because of that. Oh well life goes on...

message 20: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Oh, sorry. What happens when you're summer is over?

message 21: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Well I gotta go to school that's what. Yeah not fun. I think that's pretty clear right? I just hope college is better than high school. But really I need to be more of a big girl and get over it. Everything will be fine...probably:)

message 22: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I know. I don't wanna go either. Maybe college will be better. I'm sure everything will be fine though. Probably. :) Jk. Hopefully you''ll have N epic time. Just dontparty too much. I'll feel left out.

message 23: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara No worries I'm not really the partying type. Epic would be great but I'll settle for something like good or fine anyday:)
Well at least you got a good chunk of the summer left enjoy it!

message 24: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I ONLY HAVE A MONTH LEFT!!! Oh well. I would have fun, but the movie I wanted to see with my friends isn't in the theater anymore and we can't go mini golfing 'cause it's gonna rain. I'm starting to get frustrated.

message 25: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Well that's better than 2 weeks. What movie did you want to watch? I haven't went mini golfing in ages. I should though because if I remember right I won last time:)

message 26: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I wanted to see my sisters keeper, I lovedthe book and it's supposed to be set in rhode island. But it's out. Whatever. I don't remember the last time i went, and I wanna go but the weather is sucking around here. And my friends can only hang out on certain days and we're limited to what we can do and it's kinda pissing me off. It's not my friends faults, but I'm still angry. I'm pretty sure I lost last time though. Go you!
~T

message 27: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah my friend wanted to go watch it too but I haven't read the book. I know sometimes it will be weeks till I can work out something with my friends that we can do together. Life gets in the way sometimes. But it's all good.

message 28: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Ugh, yeah I know what you mean. Stupid life.

message 29: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah but it does have it's moments:) Here's hoping that your plans are going better.

message 30: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Not at the moment. I still haven't heard from them. ugh. I think I'll just sleep late and read. Books are nice. Life does have it's moments though. I wish I was having nice ones now.

message 31: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Books are lovely, stupendous, epic and so many adjectives it would be hard to fit it all in this little box:) Don't feel too bad. School is coming soon and well you'll be seeing them all the time even if the situation isn'the greatest.

message 32: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Yeah.
~Tori

Haley I love Wes. So much. :)

message 34: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I know! He's awesome!!
~T

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael Why did you have to read this for school?

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael We don't get cool summer reading assignments like this. I have to read Death of a Salesman and the Kite Runner of summer vacation. Haha. Fun, fun for everyone!

message 37: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Well, we got to choose any 3 books as long as they were over a certain number of pages. I don't have any books to read this summer for school, just senior project proposals. :( I hate senior project. I wish I just had to read 2 books.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Are you talking about senior exit projects? We have to do those throughout the school year. It's going to be such a bitch.

message 39: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Exit? Is that what they call them in Michgan? They're senior exhibition projects here. And yes, our summer work is getting a mentor and writing the proposal. And then we'll finish the rest over the school year. It is going to be a bitch. I really don't wanna do it. Do you know what your topic is yet?

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael We don't really have topics, but we have to make a powerpoint answering the questions, "Where am I at? Where am I going? How am I going to get there?" or something like that. And then we have to present it to the school board and some teachers or something. Basically it's a chance to list all your accomplishments and where you want to go in life. Blah. It will be quite a bitch.

message 41: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Woooow. You guys have it frickin easy. We do those on paper every quarter and a reflection on every major assignment we do but we don't present it. But we do have to do major project on any topic and 'expand our learning' and we present that and we have to get a mentor and make a product and some other bullshit.