Tori's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Feb 27, 2010

bookshelves: own, favorites, fantasy, paranormal-supernatural, mortal-instruments-infernal-device
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read on October 01, 2008 , read count: 2

Ever read a series where after a few books you don't remember what happened in which book? This was one of them. So I re-read it. I STILL LOVE IT. It was even better the second time! I really never know what to say in a review because I never really know what I love about books. But I guess this one is even more confusing. It has AMAZING characters. It's also written really well, and I love the sarcastic banter all the characters are involved in. Not only that, there are parts that are really dark and emotional too. It has an unbelievable plot, complicated but not at all confusing, that just gets better and better as the series continues. I love how it's so detailed but not so much that I feel like skimming over pages because I get bored, I feel like I could read this series a hundred times and never get bored. Not that I would, there are too many other books I need to read too. :)
~T

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Tori Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.”

Cassandra Clare
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”

Cassandra Clare
“One of the Silent Brothers is here to see you. Hodge sent me to wake you up. Actually he offered to wake you himself, but since it's 5 a.m., I figured you'd be less cranky if you had something nice to look at."
"Meaning you?"
"What else?”

Cassandra Clare
“Let me put it this way, my father believed in a righteous God. Deus volt, that was his motto- 'because God wills it.' It was the Crusaders' motto, and they went into battle and were slaughtered just like my father. And when I saw him lying dead in a pool of his own blood, I knew then that I hadn't stopped believing in God. I'd just stopped believing God cared. There might be a God, Clary, and there might not, but I don't think it matters. Either way we're on our own.”
tags: god

Cassandra Clare
“Don't tell me," Jace said, "Simon's turned himself into an ocelot and you want me to do something about it before Isabelle makes him into a stole. Well, you'll have have to wait till tomorrow. I'm out of commission." He pointed at himself - he was wearing blue pajamas with a hole in the sleeve. "Look. Jammies."
"Jace," Clary said, "this is important."
"Don't tell me," he said. "You've got a drawing emergency. You need a nude model. Well, I'm not in the mood. You could always ask Hodge," he said as an afterthought. "I hear he'll do anything for a -"
"JACE!" she interrupted him, her voice rising to a scream. "JUST SHUT UP FOR A SECOND AND LISTEN, WILL YOU?”

Cassandra Clare
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”

Cassandra Clare
“Just because you call an electric eel a rubber duck doesn't make it a rubber duck, does it? And God help the poor bastard who decides they want to take a bath with the duckie. (Jace Wayland)”

Cassandra Clare
“Sorry, are you telling me that your demon-slaying buddies need to be driven to their next assignment with the forces of darkness by my mom?”

Cassandra Clare
“Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Investigation?" Isabelle laughed. "Now we're detectives? Maybe we should all have code names."
"Good idea," said Jace. "I shall be Baron Hotschaft Von Hugenstein.”

Cassandra Clare
“Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Jace shoot her a look of white rage - but when she glanced at him, he looked as he always did: easy, confident, slightly bored.
"In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
"You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
"Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit."
"I didn't invite him into bed," Clary snapped. "We were just kissing."
"Just kissing?" Jace's tone mocked her with its false hurt. "How swiftly you dismiss our love.”

Cassandra Clare
“Was it weird hearing from Jace?" asked Simon, his voice carefully neutral. "I mean, since you found out..."
His voice trailed off.
Yes?"said Clary, her voice sharply edged. "Since I found out what? That he's a killer transvestite who molests cats?"
No wonder that cat of his hates everyone."
Oh, shut up, Simon," Clary said crossly.”

02/25/2010 page 389
80.21% "Had to re-read it. It's even better the second time! I'm even wearing all black for the occasion. :) Probably finish it tonight."