Charlie George's Reviews > Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas

Preacher, Volume 1 by Garth Ennis

Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in April, 2009, read count: 4

I had thought perhaps Volume 1 was sub-par, occurring prior to either of my 2 favorite characters, the villains Starr and Jody. However I had forgotten what fundamentally classic Preacher moments were way back here in the beginning, prompting a revised rating of 5 stars. *spoiler alert*

Jesse first meeting Cassidy. Tulip first meeting Cassidy. Cassidy's two run-ins with the Saint of Killers (pow!). Basically Cassidy's character is just awesome in these issues. The whole storyline with Si (who in a far-fetched turn of events, turned out to be the "reaver-cleaver" but so what? Jesse and Cass still busted some moves all over his ass). The Saint's two exchanges with Texas law-enforcement and various other massacres. Hugo Root's intransigent character.

It is not without flaws. Root in particular had some dumb lines so I don't think his character was that well thought out. The underlying purpose of the entire series is dubious... God quit and Jesse is looking for him? I don't know what to make of that. In any case, all kinds of misadventures happen along the way and the good entertainment blows the bad to smithereens.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Volume 1.