Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire

Nov 01, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-reads, queuemyreview
Read in November, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Nov08

Humor and romance with just the right amount of heat, that would be my short description of “All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire” by Kerrelyn Sparks. This book is part of her ‘Love at Stake’ series about vampires in the modern world and I think the series has improved with each book she’s written. They’re certainly not ‘serious reads’, but if you’re looking for a book that will leave you with a grin, this is a good series to try.

Toni is a woman on a mission. Her best friend and soul sister is currently incarcerated in a psych ward. She was attacked by vampires but nobody (including Toni at first) believed her. Well, being the great friend she is, Toni sets out to prove the existence of vampires. When she herself is attacked by ‘bad’ vampires and then saved by a ‘good’ vampire (although she really can’t believe there is such a thing as a good vampire), she becomes a believer. She even goes so far as to become a daytime bodyguard for the sleeping vamps! Now if she can just find some proof, she can spring her friend and go back to her normal life.

Ian is nearly 500 years old, but until recently he has resembled the 15-year-old lad he was when he became a vampire. When his boss invented a ‘stay-awake’ drug for vamps, an unintended side effect was aging one year for every day a vamp spent on the drug. While most vamps would shudder in horror, this was a dream come true for Ian who is truly tired of all the consequences of looking like a youngster. He’s ready to find his true love and settle down for an eternity of wedded bliss, with a vampire that is. Because there’s no way his true love could be a human…right?

What a pair! Toni is having a hard time getting over her vicious attack. How could she ever be attracted to a vampire? And poor Ian with his 15th century values can’t believe he’s having such a hard time finding THE vamp for him. He’s so drawn to Toni who has all the qualities he’s looking for in a woman…except she’s alive. ‘Watching’ these two come together is better than any soap opera. Ian’s efforts at wooing will have you in stitches. Especially once his friend helps him out by putting his information in an online dating service! Hilarity ensues. But these two are actually perfect for each other. They just need to get over their prejudices and realize that there are good and bad in every race and every situation…finding the good just takes more work. Too true.

There are really only two things that relate to the Christmas referenced in the title, other than the time of year the book is set. A party full of male vamps in Santa suits is one, and I don’t want to give away the other although it will have you saying, “Awww, that’s so sweet.” Probably one of the most creative uses of Santa and Christmas I’ve read in a humorous romance.

“All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire” is a book to read on a cold day, beside a warm fire, with a glass of your favorite beverage by your side. The heat generated by this pair of lovers will warm you up a bit, and the interplay between them will keep you laughing. Kerrelyn Sparks will give you a few hours of escape from your holiday chores with this sparkling tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire.

06/29/2016 marked as: read