Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Knight's Fork

Nov 12, 08

bookshelves: queuemyreview, 2008-reads
Read in November, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Nov08

How do I describe “Knight’s Fork” by Rowena Cherry? This book is a conglomeration of science fiction, romance, comedy (I think), and action/suspense? To be quite frank, most of it didn’t really make sense to me. I felt like I had been dropped into the middle of a story without any cliff notes or background! I read the first book in this series but not the second and maybe that’s why I had such a hard time. In any event, I don’t think I could recommend this one as a stand-alone read.

Electra is a Djinn female, an Imperial Princess, and a barbarian Queen. She was mated to a prince of Volnoth as a living peace treaty. Now her husband is the King of Volnoth but he apparently cannot impregnate a Djinni. Since Electra cares for her husband, she is desperate to find a way to give him a male heir before he loses the throne. When she spots a Djinn with the correct colored eyes, she decides to ask him for some sperm. Havoc and mayhem ensue as Electra and her intended donor Djinn, ‘Rhett, become the targets of political maneuvering by three different royal houses!

‘Rhett is a Djinn, a Saurian Knight, and the son of the most powerful ruler of the free worlds. He’s also apparently made a vow to save his virginity for his mate. He spent a good amount of time on Earth and trained as a lawyer and LIVES for rules and order. So when Electra, a mated Queen, appears to be asking him to sleep with her, he’s far from flattered, even if she is gorgeous. By trickery and deceit on the part of I lost count of how many players, Electra is smuggled onto ‘Rhett’s ship which is on its way to Earth. By the time he finds her, it’s too late to send her back in time for her to make her Royal Mating ceremony. At first, ‘Rhett is suspicious of Electra but soon they become friends. It will take all ‘Rhett’s abilities as a lawyer and a knight to save Electra and have a happily ever after.

With a hero who seemed to love playing the passive aggressive jerk and a heroine who (?unintentionally?) spent her time being a prick tease, I ended up not particularly liking either of them. Even giving ‘Rhett points for his determination not to sleep with a mated Queen and giving Electra points for wanting to help her husband via a spermcicle (no, really. You’d have to read it to believe it.), it seemed these two were happiest being miserable. Add in the myriad subplots on the part of just about everyone else in the book and it was exhausting.

For the most part, I felt a lot like Electra…lost in a new culture and misunderstanding everything around her. her world as I was in this book, “Knight’s Fork” was an effort to finish. Every time I thought I had at least gotten a glimmer of the plot of “Knight’s Fork”, either a new character or a new twist came in to blow my understanding to smithereens! And at 340 pages, that’s a long time to spend being confused. So if you have read Rowena Cherry’s previous books in this series and liked them, you will probably like this one too. It just wasn’t for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knight's Fork.

11/12/2008 "done, review to come"