Lori Anderson's Reviews > Testimony

Feb 04, 2009

liked it
Recommended for: no one
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

I normally like Anita Shreve's books, but this one was just not up to par. The subject matter bothered me on various levels, the TREATMENT of that subject matter bothered me, and I got confused and disjointed with her way of making each chapter in a different person's voice. I was left feeling sad, disgusted, and badly wanting to smack "Sienna" very, very hard. It made me think about why bad things happen to good people and the dregs just go on happily oblivious. And I'm currently not in the mood to think about those things.

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Lori Anderson:The Blog
Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Testimony.

message 1: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire Never read the book, but your review comes across as very sincere and something I have felt about books, the characters and their authors. Sometimes, you just aren't in a position to deal with it.

Lori Anderson Toni wrote: "Never read the book, but your review comes across as very sincere and something I have felt about books, the characters and their authors. Sometimes, you just aren't in a position to deal with it."

I actually ranted to my husband about this and the book I read before this ("First Love") -- this book -- think the Duke Lacrosse scandal with a horrible outcome. I told him it DID make you think, but oh ugh, I have way too much on my plate to think about things like what constitutes KNOWING what you are doing and girls who are liars, thus ruining two marriages, three kids lives, and a school. (shudders)