Ryn Miller's Reviews > J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. Tolkien

10202054
Jul 12, 12

5 stars because this is where it all started. But don't read it.

Geek Required reading? You know I don't know if that's the case now a days. Listen did you know you can read Star Wars? It's true. It's basically the original script. Now, will you find a little more about the characters readikng that? Sure. But trust me it doesn't add much. Same things here.
I think the movies made by Peter Jackson (and by this I mean the extended versions) are super awesome and are gonna convey 90% of the Lord of the Rings. Yeah you're gonna miss out on the Tom Bombadil and The whole sceen with the Barrow Wrights. But you're also going to skip the pages and pages and pages of nothing happening and hobbits walking. The Concil of Elrond takes 10 - 15 minutes in the movie. In the book it takes about 50 pages, maybe more. Tolkien is an amazing story teller. And there hasn't been anyone that can build a world like he could. Elves, Goblins, Ents, Dwarves have been taking their ques from these books for decards. BUT Tolkien is not a great writter. He really needed an editor! This is probably the only time you'll ever hear this... Skip the books. Watch the movies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set.