Book Concierge's Reviews > Hattie Big Sky

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

Jul 12, 12

Read in July, 2012

Hattie Inez Brooks is an orphan who has been shunted from family member to family member since her parents died. She feels she is “Hattie Here and There.” When she’s informed of a totally unexpected legacy she sets out for Montana at the tender age of 16 to lay claim to her uncle’s homestead.

This is a good story, based on the life of the author’s great-grandmother. When most of us hear “homestead” we think of the mid to late 1800’s, but this story is set in 1917-1918. There is a lot going on the in country at this time – the advent of motorized vehicles, the Great War (World War I), the expansion of the railroads and increased settlement of the West, and the great Spanish Influenza pandemic. All these elements and historical episodes come into play in this young adult novel. Larson has crafted a compelling plot, with a good balance of heartache and joy. We have a very strong heroine in Hattie Brooks, as well other strong men and women, and a few villains and cowards to even the score and make the story interesting and realistic.

Kirsten Potter does a fine job of narrating the audio book. Her pacing is good and her use of varying inflections helps to differentiate characters.

I really enjoyed this novel and would read more of Larson’s work. Definitely would recommend this for my nieces (ages 11 and 16).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hattie Big Sky.