Andreea's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: reviewed, 10th-grade
Recommended for: everyone!
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

In my own humble opinion, this book is an incredible work of literature. It's a somewhat tragic tale of doomed love, second chances, prejudice, and even history, because the action takes place in Barcelona during the Spanish civil war. It's books like these that are always worth a read and that won't leave you the same person as when you picked it up. Not even if, like me, you dislike romance novels.

Daniel picks up a book entitled "The Shadow of the Wind" by a certain Julian Carax and is completely mezmerized by it. When he looks for other books by the same author, he finds out that someone has been methodically burning all the books he ever wrote. Though he is warned by both a corrupt policeman and a mysterious man with a burned face to leave well enough alone, Daniel continues to search for the answer to the Carax mystery, leading to a tragic secret to be revealed.

I think the most important thing is to approach this book with an open mind ready to actually think about what you're reading. After we are introduced to the main antagonist and learn to despise him for the type of person he is, we learn of what made him that way. That way, I learned that the real 'bad guys' in this world (not the naturally evil ones that are in books) are made, not born. Often times, they're made by the 'good guys', who taunted or refused to help them in times of need. It's sad, and made me feel a bit hopeless. I felt sorry for Fumero, and despised him at the same time; it's a terrible feeling.

This book is also very quotable, and I look forward to reading more books by Zafon. And as dark as it is, the ending was bittersweet at worst and happy at best.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.