Denae's Reviews > The Gate Thief

Jun 03, 14

bookshelves: alternate-reality-fantasy, listened-to
Read in June, 2014

1.5

I seem to have less and less respect for OSC the more of his books I read. Ender's Game was amazing, and this was not.
Despite my misgivings of Lost Gate, I dived into Gate Thief with quite some excitement. Mithermage powers were clever and fun, the world was new and dangerous, and a lot was left unanswered. Well, I lost some of my respect for the powers, lost all my respect for the characters, and came to downright dislike the world.
Powers. Not only can gatemages go anywhere and heal anything, they can learn languages at the drop of a hat. Wind might call a windmage to soar around destroying towns. Gates can talk to their mages, sort of. A Ka/Ba can switch bodies.

Girls. No fewer than 4 women tried and tried to seduce Danny. 2 for Wad. There was a woman trying to take off someone's clothes almost every chapter. Why? Because women are attracted to power (OSC even said this in the author's note at the end). Despicable. If all of them have to like Danny . . . can't ANY of the women show their attraction through normal and sane means? Does no one TALK to each other any more? Teens are not that vulgar and stupid and inappropriate, at least none that I ever knew. Two kept pestering Danny because they just wanted to carry his baby. One said she could feel her uterus longing to carry the baby of a god. Um, ew? Who thinks these things?

Danny. No matter bow many times other characters told the reader how good/noble/decent Danny is, I never bought it. Oh, he didn't kill someone who tried to kill him; he is so noble! What about when he broke his coach's hand just because the coach touched his shoulder? (Healing it moments later says nothing). The Danny pushed his way into his coach's house even though the coach asked him not to. "No, Danny, this is my house." "Well, you touched MY shoulder, coach." Yes, his actions are so decent.

Wad. I don't like him. We could see him for, like, 2 or 3 chapters and it would be plenty. Do we really have to hear about his wanderings, love affairs, and revenge? He also seems like a different character every other chapter, extremely forgetful. (view spoiler)

World. Humans are no more than a Ka/Ba inside monkey bodies. Jesus is no more than a gatemage. Bel/Set/Satan is a disconnected manmage who can take over anyone through intimacy.

Oh, and the end was disappointing. I dislike when characters get in trouble with stuff they easily could have avoided.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gate Thief.

06/03 marked as: read