Cait's Reviews > Farthing

Farthing by Jo Walton

Jan 01, 09

bookshelves: currently-to-shelve, novel, all-of-my-reviewed-books, queer, race
Recommended to Cait by: Lightreads
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** The last book I read in 2008! I started this the afternoon of the 31st and finished it up around 11pm, which is to say, it's quite readable! I liked the use of alternating voices and I liked both of those narrating characters -- I think I liked them almost too much, to the point that it was very easy to forget what was going on around them. That's the point of the whole book, of course, and it's an excellent point which is hammered home a couple of times, but, y'know, sudden Nazis to bring the point home are not really a pleasant surprise.

I knew it was a trilogy going in, but I expected more resolution; it's very much an emotional cliffhanger, for all that everything in the plot is actually resolved. Now I need those other two books! I have to know what happens!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farthing.

Sandi I really, really want to read more about what happens to Lucy and David, but I don't think the sequels follow them at all. I think they both follow Carmichael.

Cait Alas! But I like Carmichael too, so that's okay. And I am free to imagine all sorts of fabulous adventures through which Lucy continues to drag David. :)