Casie's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

10902039
Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: faith
Read in July, 2012

Last night I finished this book.

First I will tell you the good:
This is an inspiring idea. I believe greatly in giving thanks and noticing the good above the bad. I feel closer to God when I am thankful and aware of my blessings. And as I have said before, I am motivated by the books I read. They are like a trainer to keep me on track. This book is all about thankfulness and understanding and experiencing the fullness of God's love.

Now I will tell you the bad:
The way this lady writes, kind of makes me want to punch her. Like it literally makes me angry to read some of her words. Not because they are inflammatory, but because they are just SOOOOOOOOO over the top. This is how the second sentence of the book begins:

"And I fill my mother's tearing ring of fire with my body emerging..."- this describes her birth

or how about this:
"Nothing could have braced the gut for what he did next, shrapnel ripping intestines."- and you know what happened next? One of her kids threw a piece of toast at the other one. Try not to be shocked by the pain of the shrapnel of toast.

or this about hanging laundry:
"I hang socks across the rack, white flags of surrender."

COME ON. I am not saying you cannot write poetically but the whole darn book is like this and it annoyed the crap out of me. I can only handle so many womb metaphors.

So I am 50/50 on this one. Very good subject matter. Totally annoying package.
65 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

Jennifer Haha!! 100% agree with you! Did she not have an Editor?! In my opinion: corny, sappy, cheesey. Ten dollars I would love to have back...

message 2: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Meadows Wow, I completely disagree!! The beauty of her writing style makes the subject matter that much more potent, intense.

Arlene I agree with you. While I enjoyed parts of the book, sometimes I wanted to say...ok I get it, let's move along.

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo I SO agree with you!I tried reading it two separate times. I don't know why she had to make a good idea so hard to relate to.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie I am struggling through this book & completely agree with you. Concise writing would convey the message better (for me).

message 6: by Dessy (new)

Dessy Yes, I too felt her description of birth was almost laughable in its effort to force the reader to feel the "horror" of entering the world. It is so wordy that I have yet to finish the first chapter. I usually love descriptive writing but this is too much!

Caroline P I just wrote my review and then scrolled through the ratings here. Over the top was a phrase I used as well to describe her writing. I REALLY wanted to like the book, but the way she wrote took away from it.

Rculliford If I had seen you review before I wrote mine I would have just pointed everyone to you and said, "ditto."