Kelsey's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Hearts of Darkness by Kira Brady

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from July 12 to 17, 2012

Kayla Friday flies out to Seattle to ID her sister’s body. The authorities said she died of an overdose but Kayla, being a nurse, knows what a drug overdose looks like and her sister’s body does not look like that. When the mysterious Hart comes crashing into the morgue, Kayla is thrown into a war that has been brewing for awhile between the Kivati and Drekar. Whoever holds the necklace that Kayla’s sister was hiding will have the key to the gate that protects the world of the living from the world of the dead. Kayla and Hart are drawn toward each other yet there are many obstacles in the way. The big one is Hart is a hired mercenary werewolf in charge of recovering the necklace to earn his own freedom.

The paranormal world is new to Kayla but she soon discovers a secret about herself that makes her realize that this whole new world she discovered isn’t that foreign to her. Kayla finds strength inside her she didn’t know she possessed but when Hart is in danger she is the one who comes to the rescue. The ending has a bit of a twist considering up until then you honestly don’t know which side is good or bad.

As I was reading Brady’s novel I couldn’t help but find many similarities to the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. Characters and plots are eerily comparable. Aside from that, there are some unique aspects that make me curious to read the next installment. I liked the combination of the different mythologies that Brady stirs together to create some interesting characters. Having it set in Seattle was just genius because when I think of Seattle I think of a nitty gritty world that is always a bit dreary. I thought this was a good debut for Kira Brady.

(ARC was provided by publisher for an honest review)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.