Lorra Fae's Reviews > Cosmicomics

Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino

Jul 21, 2012

Read from July 12 to 21, 2012

Wow, I want to GUSH about this book - a series of stories about the creation of the universe, but from the perspective of sentient matter - a being named Qfwfq - who has been everything from "nothing" to a simple bunch of cells, to a dinosaur.
My favourite stories here are "The Distance of the Moon" about when the moon was VERY close to the Earth (right by the ocean, the moon surface covered in scales and seaweeds, etc, and a ladder built from a boat so they could climb up on the moon), "The Dinosaurs" about when Qfwfq was the last dinosaur and lived among "The New Ones" (he was called The Ugly One) who had many prejudices and ideas about dinosaurs - except they did not know he was one, and "The Spiral" which is when Qfwfq was this small collection of cells, a bit of a blob, and then when he realized there were females, too, began to secrete fluid as a way to make himself known, and created his shell - and from there, he also managed to create sight by forming eyes - which all other creatures emulated - and so the story becomes almost sad because all of us have eyes, originating from him, and he is long forgotten.

Anyway this book is amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cosmicomics.