Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)'s Reviews > Painted Blind

Painted Blind by Michelle A. Hansen

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: favorites, reviewed
Read in July, 2012

I received a copy to review from the publisher via NetGalley.

Psyche spent her summer in Italy modeling. Her dad only let her if she didn’t do any nudity. Unfortunately, Psyche took questionable photos and doesn’t intend to tell her father. In the ad, Psyche was emulating Venus, and Aprhodite found out and sent her son Eros to make Psyche fall in love with the most hideous being.

Pysche was never going to tell her dad about the photo shoot, but that was until her ad is found on a billboard where everybody in town can see. On top of that, she can’t already stand being in crowds with people, and Erik, a guy that can go invisible at whim, starts following her.

He saves her from a group of people at the carnival, and he continues to find her and talk to her. Eventually, he takes her to his home… in another realm. Psyche starts to fall for him, but she still hasn’t seen his face. With Savannah’s, her best friend’s, encouragement, she decides to find out what he looks like only to find out that he’s extremely handsome…and Eros, the god of love. He becomes furious and literally throws her out of his mansion. Will Psyche be able to pass Aphrodite’s three tests or is she doomed to forget Eros forever?

I absolutely love Greek mythology, and love finding books incorporate them. The tale of Psyche and Eros is one of my top three favorite myths. I don’t condone that Psyche took those pictures, but she explains the truth to her father. I really liked Erik/ Eros, but I would have definitely had a hissy fit and give him a verbal smackdown for being thrown out the window.

I expected that Savannah was going to turn out to be a rat. I won’t go into details, but I didn’t like her one bit. I thought Psyche was really strong for the most part. The only times when she complained is when Eros first kicked her out and during the hardest parts of the trials, which I think is pretty understandable.

I was torn on whether to give this book a 4 or a 5, so I ended up going with a 4.5. Mostly because I felt at times it drug a little bit during Psyche’s trials, and I missed having Erik/ Eros in the story. He was in it a lot until the trials.

I liked that the story stayed pretty true to the myth, and didn’t stray too much from it. Michelle was able to do a great modern twist to this myth.

I hope Michelle writes more stories on other Greek myths in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Painted Blind.