Masquerade Crew's Reviews > The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

Jul 12, 12

There are a lot of romance stories out there involving (generally) a mortal female falling for a supernatural being and this one is pretty similar. Kait, being the human female unsatisfied with her lot in life and the marriage her brother is trying to arrange falls for Edmund, a young selkie male. I was a little disturbed at one point when it was revealed how young Edmund was, but I guess selkie’s mature faster than humans.

This story follows the 3 act format of romance novels so of course it’s going to be a bit predictable. But then you don’t read romance novels for twists and turns, you read them to know that the main characters will end up together in the end, to be swept away in their story which does story does to an extent. And yet despite adding fantasy and romance together, and successfully following the 3 act format of the romance novel I wasn’t as swept away as I should be by this. As romance novels go this one is a good one, but that is all. Somehow it falls short of fantastic or great.

That’s not to say it’s not worth buying or reading. I did get enjoyment out of reading the story; it’s just not probably one I’ll reread. As a lazy afternoon story this one is ideal. If you like your romance with a touch of the fantasy or supernatural then this one is for you. Just don’t expect it to be anything better than good.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lure of Shapinsay.