Blythe's Reviews > Dance of Shadows

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black

5206717
"...from the creators of Lauren Kate’s Fallen."

77 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance of Shadows.

Hayden From the creators of??? :o What??

message 2: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle That was probably not the best thing to put on the blurb.

message 3: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Also, shouldn't the creator of Lauren Kate's Fallen be Lauren Kate?

message 4: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair What does that even mean?? LOL.

Hayden Stephanie wrote: "What does that even mean?? LOL."

I have the same questions as you, Stephanie!

Blythe wrote: "Also, shouldn't the creator of Lauren Kate's Fallen be Lauren Kate?"

Yeah? I was just thinking the same thing!

Hayden I just googled Yelena Black, and it gave me a mug shot of a Yelena Black who was checked into jail. Lol

message 8: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe I'm confused! Maybe Yelena Black is a pseudonym for Lauren Kate?

message 9: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Hayden wrote: "http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Ye... Haha."

LOL. Maybe that's the author!

message 10: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe She looks... nice....

Hayden Hmmm. I don't think that's the case.

Bloomsbury Gets ‘Diabolical'
In a major three-book acquisition, Melanie Cecka at Bloomsbury/Walker Books for Young Readers bought world English and German rights, at auction, to a new trilogy by recent Columbia M.F.A. grad Yelena Black; book one is called Diabolical. Michael Stearns and Ted Malawer, at the Inkhouse, brokered the deal for Black. Bloomsbury calls the trilogy a Black Swan–like (in reference to the film) tale of a 15-year-old who starts witnessing spooky goings-on at her prestigious ballet school. When Vanessa Adler becomes suspicious of the controlling choreographer at her academy, she stumbles upon the fact that he is staging a performance in which "the school's dancers become pawns in a world of demons." The first book in the series will be published internationally in English—in the U.S., U.K., and Australia—in winter 2013.

message 12: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Oh, thanks, Hayden! Still, the plot sounds a little too similar to the movie Black Swan.

Skittles (Skyla) Do you think maybe they meant the publisher's of Lauren Kate's Fallen? Or something like that? Unless the Fallen series was just ghost written by Kate?

Hayden Yes, she does look very . . . nice. (;

I haven't seen Black Swan. Is it worth watching?

message 15: by Blythe (last edited Jul 12, 2012 01:13PM) (new) - added it

Blythe I actually liked it a lot, so I'd definitely give it a shot. If you end up watching it, tell me how you like it! It's definitely a mindfuck movie.

Hayden Yeah, so I've heard! Didn't her instructor tell her to go touch herself for homework or something? That's all I remember hearing.

message 17: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe I don't remember, but he probably did. There are quite a few erotic scenes in the movie.

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hayden wrote: "Yeah, so I've heard! Didn't her instructor tell her to go touch herself for homework or something? That's all I remember hearing."

Yeah he did, and she listened to him.

Hayden It's sad that that's the one thing I remember. :P Thanks for your help, Danielle!

message 20: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "Do you think maybe they meant the publisher's of Lauren Kate's Fallen? Or something like that? Unless the Fallen series was just ghost written by Kate?"

I thought Fallen was Random House?

Hayden Stephanie wrote: "Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "Do you think maybe they meant the publisher's of Lauren Kate's Fallen? Or something like that? Unless the Fallen series was just ghost written by Ka..."

It was! It was Delacorte. This is Bloomsbury. O.o Who knows what they mean.

message 22: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle Stephanie, it is Random House. I did a quick search, and I found the answers here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

In the comments. So yeahhhh...

Hayden Wow. I totally never knew Lauren Kate did that. I lost respect for her. I kind of dislike the whole idea of being paid to write something that's not your idea.

Skittles (Skyla) Stephanie wrote: "Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "Do you think maybe they meant the publisher's of Lauren Kate's Fallen? Or something like that? Unless the Fallen series was just ghost written by Ka..."

I was just guessing that is what they meant. But apparently it is one of those ghost writer type things.

message 25: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle I think it's safe to say that if they all sucked then the trend will continue, lol.

Hayden Ashleigh Paige wrote: "I was wondering when you guys would learn this came from the same book packaging company that put out Fallen. :P

Ever since I learned that, I thought about rereading Fallen and actually finishing..."

What else came from book packaging companies? Ugh, I hate this >:(

message 27: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Wow, I did not know that about the Fallen series. I've heard of book packaging, but didn't realize Fallen was one of them. Eh.

message 28: by June (new)

June Helmsley I wonder if an author can tell the publishing company that s/he doesn't want a blurb by a certain author on the cover. I know if I saw a blurb by a shitty author, it would make me think twice about reading the book.

Skittles (Skyla) Did I miss something? What about the blurbs?

message 30: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe NO! NOT VENOM!

*whimpers* But I was looking forward to that book...

Hayden Ashleigh Paige wrote: "Do you really want to know, Hayden? There are a whole lot of books... Well, okay! I'll make a list.

* The Pretty Little Liars series (A)
* I Am Number Four (FFF)
* Venom by Fiona Paul (PLL)
* The ..."

Did The Lying Game come from one? :( Please say no!

Hayden By the way, thanks for the list!

message 33: by Hayden (last edited Jul 12, 2012 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hayden NO! Not Fury/Envy! D:

message 34: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle Yes, the Lying Game did come from a packaging company. To add to that amazingly thorough and comprehensive list: http://alloyentertainment.com/books/

message 35: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Wow, the Luxe series too. Interesting.

Hayden Isabelle wrote: "Yes, the Lying Game did come from a packaging company. To add to that amazingly thorough and comprehensive list: http://alloyentertainment.com/books/"

D:

Hayden EVE?

THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS?

THE ALCHEMY OF FOREVER?!

WTF IS THIS SORCERY?! I feel like my whole life is a lie!

*cries*

Hayden What are the names of the other companies? I have to look into this more.

Hayden What's FFF?

message 40: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe I'm guessing FFF is Full Fathom Five.

message 41: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle Oh, wow, we're really spamming your review Blythe. Haha... sorry.

message 42: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Haha, it's okay, I don't mind it.

Hayden I can't find a list of their stuff.

Hayden Ashleigh Paige wrote: "Yep, FFF is Full Fathom Five, aka James Frey's writer's sweatshop. Seriously, look up that company and see what you find. It's not pretty. I listed the names of the four book packaging companies I ..."

I can't find it on goodreads.

message 45: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Wow Eve?!

Hayden Yeah! I know, right?!

Hayden Ashleigh Paige wrote: "Hayden wrote: "Ashleigh Paige wrote: "Yep, FFF is Full Fathom Five, aka James Frey's writer's sweatshop. Seriously, look up that company and see what you find. It's not pretty. I listed the names o..."

I meant Google. :P I wasn't thinking.

message 48: by Oz (last edited Jul 12, 2012 03:45PM) (new) - added it

Oz Hayden wrote: "Wow. I totally never knew Lauren Kate did that. I lost respect for her. I kind of dislike the whole idea of being paid to write something that's not your idea."

No different from what L.J. Smith did, Secret Circle and Vampire Diaries were ideas of a book company she was hired to write them. Sort of don't blame the authors for accepting though, a wage is a wage. Though this new information about Lauren Kate's series is fascinating to me. Makes me wonder about other series.

message 49: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle Baha. I wonder why they use books that have so much hate surrounding it as a point of Marketing O.O

message 50: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Giselle wrote: "Baha. I wonder why they use books that have so much hate surrounding it as a point of Marketing O.O"

Because there are, for some unknown reason, a hell of a lot of love to go with that hate. Still, one would think pubs would use books that make readers feel less stabby as a marketing technique.

« previous 1