Grumpus's Reviews > Dark Tidings

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: kindle, time-travel
Recommended to Grumpus by: Won free copy from author via Time Travel Group
Read from July 11 to 23, 2012

First, let me first say that I had the honour (written in the King’s English in deference to the author) of winning this through a random drawing at the Time Travel group.

Second, let me state that I enjoyed my correspondence with the author, Ken Magee.

Third, let me state that I feel that everyone who wins a freebie through Goodreads should step up and provide feedback to the others who were not as lucky to win. Most do but some do not. This is my soapbox. Moving on. . .

Finally, I feel guilty. Knowing that I was going to provide feedback as a result of winning this book, I had this “I have to like this book” anxiety. I sincerely hoped I would. Alas, it was “OK” as defined by my 2-star rating.

This book was however, an interesting amalgam of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, The Da Vinci Code, and Ghost In The Wires, three books that I enjoyed immensely. In the end, I thought the plot concept was excellent and I liked the characters but it was all a bit too predictable for me. I was also hoping for more interaction with the time travelers as they experienced new things for the first time in the 21st century. The awe that I had envisioned these characters would have as they discovered “everything” was not there. The impression I had was they simply accepted it all and moved on without that wide-eyed, child-like amazement and interaction I would have expected.

I appreciate the opportunity to have won this book, met the author (virtually), and provide this feedback but the angst I had in writing this was too great because of my desire to be sensitive to the author's feelings. Maybe because it is my first win, maybe because I met the author, maybe I'm not cut out to be a true reviewer, I don’t know. For me, personally, the advance knowledge of having to provide this feedback (if you win, you should) was a stressful experience and will make me cautious in trying to win additional freebies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Tidings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Grumpus, I thought you expressed yourself beautifully. Your angst definitely comes through in your comments and I completely understand your feelings. I have felt the way you have. But look at it this way.. the feedback that you gave was expressed sincerely and in a thoughtful, non-insulting way. I think when we, as readers can do that, it can only be helpful. I think if you are a writer and you are putting yourself out there, you are most likely expecting that not everyone is going to LOVE what you wrote. And you know, maybe your comments will be helpful to this author. I, for one, think you were very constructively critical. Good job!

message 2: by Grumpus (new) - added it

Grumpus Thanks for the kind words, Darlene. I received a nice note from the author saying basically the same things you mentioned as well as similiar angst he has experienced in past when asked to review another author's work. Both your's and the author's comments have made me feel more at ease and more confident in providing this type of constructive feedback in the future. Bring on the freebies!