Obscured Vixen's Reviews > Shift

Shift by M.R. Merrick

Jul 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, ya, suspense

To view this review on my blog and read an interview with author MR Merrick, click here.

Shift begins right where Exiled left off. And I must admit I LOVE when authors do that.

Caution: Spoilers ahead!

Riley is hungry as ever and still coming after Chase. Chase meets the two Dark Brothers, that have now sided with Riley. Riley and Darius are invading Chase’s dreams and cause him pain that hurts him in the real world when he wakes up. Riley is just about ready to do anything to take his son down.

We finally find out who Rayna’s father is! Her father is Jonathan, a hunter and panther shifter.

I can honestly admit that it is not who I expected it to be. I guess I expected someone… tougher? Jonathan has been trying to find Rayna and get in touch with her for years, but her mother went into hiding. He only found out where she was and that she was even alive when Rayna’s mother was killed.

In Shift our eyes are opened to the world of shifters. The last time Rayna tried to shift in the condo, she passed out and really wasn’t doing well. There is a feline clan that offers to help Rayna shift complete the shift safely. Marcus and Chase know they can’t help her anymore and that there is a chance she could die without help. Rayna agrees to have the clan help her shift.

Willy has been bitten by a shifter and after a while he isn’t healing. He calls grams and she confirms that none of them thought was possible: a demon can become a shifter. Grams gets the local wolf pack and sends Willy with them so he can learn how to shift safely.

Everyone and their mother wants Chase’s ring, but he won’t give it up. Chase wants to destroy the ring, but the only way to do that is stab it with Itheral’s dagger. Chase learns that the dagger is hidden in a dangerous dimension.

Chase, being the stubborn ass that he is, goes after the dagger anyway. This causes Marcus, Rayna, Tiki and Willy to follow him. They almost get themselves killed because of it. You’ll have to read this amazing story to find out the on-the-edge-of-your-seat details.

I like that Merrick does not change his characters and keeps them true to themselves. Chase has been a stubborn pain in the ass since day one, and that has never changed.

When everyone returns safely from the dimension with Itheral’s dagger, Chase and Marcus have a heart-to-heart. We find out Marcus has been in love with Chase’s mom for years. Chase isn’t sure what to say, and finally sees Marcus as a man that lost the love of his life.

Chase now has all four elements and it’s implied that he will be given a lightning power that no hunter has had for centuries. They think that’s what the mark is on Chase’s back.

This story moves very quickly, which I personally enjoy. There were no dull moments or unnecessary details. I highly recommend this story to anyone who is interested in fantasy and suspense. It is truly a great read!

Best part of this book? Rayna and Chase finally make out! Woot woot! Ohh c’mon, I wasn’t the only one who was super excited for this ; )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.