Ciara's Reviews > Ruby

Ruby by Francesca Lia Block

Nov 15, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2006, kids-books
Recommended for: fourteen-year-olds who love "rocky horror", no one else
Read in April, 2007, read count: once

francesca lia block has really turned out to be a disappointment, huh? man. i was so into the "weetzie bat" books as a young teenager. i read all of them over & over again & recommended them to all my friends. but i have hated everything else she has ever written, & i am nervous to ever try re-reading the "weetzie bat" books lest they don't stand up to the test of time. after all, i am a bit more sophisticated in my literary tastes now than i was when i was 13, & i would adore everything i read just because it was opening my mind. basically, francesca just keeps writing the same shit over & over: girl is all whimsical & ethereal. girl believes love will complete her. girl really believes in soul mates & one true love (which i most emphatically do not). girl stumbles across dream man thanks to some bizarre supernatural machinations. girl & boy fall in love. girl & boy struggle with barriers to their love. girl & boy triumph in the end. if i recall properly (which maybe i am not, because all of francesca's books are so similar to each other), the protag of this one, ruby, somehow ends up working for a weird witchy lady at an english cottage, & discovers that the witch lady's son is a big-time movie star whom ruby believes to be her soul mate. & then the movie star comes home & they fall in love. & it's kind of witchy & also has some glamorous hollywood stuff. *yawn* why did i even read this? i hated it. i don't even like francesca's style anymore, which some people describe as a "feast for the senses," but seems more like, "franceca's on meth" to me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruby.