Laurel's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: fiction, chick-lit
Read from July 12 to 14, 2012

It's been less than a week since I finished this book, and it's already fading from memory. In the end, I'm not sure what the point of it all was. Perhaps it was this:

It's okay to have an affair with your best-friend's fiance, just so long as:
1. You met him first
2. You were drunk the first time you slept with him
3. Your best friend can sometimes be pretty selfish and even a bit mean
4. (view spoiler)

I felt like these characters were all a bit immature for their supposed age of about 30. They felt more like kids who were just recently out of college (i.e, about 22-24) and not yet sure what to make of their lives. The book did keep my interest throughout, but I can't say I really liked it by the time I was done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin Rest assured, Laurel, that this book will soon fade entirely from your memory as it has from mine! (I'm vaguely aware that I read it at one point but have no clear recall of characters or plot.)

I think this is one of sparkly pink fluffy books where you're not supposed to think about the plot/purpose/character, rather just enjoy goofy girl-themed hijinks. It was made into a film starring Kate Hudson. (IMDB says that Dex was played by an actor known for his sting on a soap opera, tee hee.)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin *stint

Laurel Haha -- I think you are right, Robin! I had heard of the film version but never saw it. Maybe that's for the best. ;)

message 4: by Mc (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mc You reviewed the book the same way I would have, except I would have added one or two more things:
1) it could have been half the size with the same content
2) it became irritating that Rachel continually kept thinking that she and Dex are different than everyone else, either in the relationship aspect or even adultery aspect. Every other page had that obsession...