L's Reviews > A History of the World in 6 Glasses

A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage

Jul 26, 12

Read from July 11 to 25, 2012

How can a book about six liquids be so dry? This read like a history book; the factual text was straight-forward and informational, only. I found myself bored with wine - yes, wine. How could the author omit any reference to gin, too? He focuses primarily on rum, bourbon, whiskey (funny story there about the first time the federal gov't. asserted its authority over the states), and beer. (BTW, he claims that beer contains B vitamins and although it does, humans can't absorb it from beer; his theory kind of fell flat).

There were interesting facts about the origins of drinks, wine being the only good thing to ever come out of the Middle East aside from Ayaan Hirsi Ali, IMHO. The interesting parts were peppered throughout at best.

However, the final chapter on Coca-Cola captivated me. It's my least favorite of all of the drinks and by far the most unhealthy, but I found myself rooting for it! I liked the local references to Atlanta and remembered seeing the little pharmacy where it was first created (still standing). By the end of the chapter, I was convinced that Coca-Cola *was* America and stood for freedom and justice and capitalism and the American way! Coca-Cola is what made this country so great! It will definitely rev up some jingoism. It's worth the read of the book, alone.

I found the author's epilogue about water incredibly insightful and got a little tickled with the eventual progression from alcoholic drinks to water, as paralleled by human history.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of the World in 6 Glasses.

07/13/2012 page 43