nettan - the road so far...'s Reviews > Sepulchre

Sepulchre by Kate Mosse

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in July, 2012

This is my first go at a Kate Mosse novel. A friend of mine was over the moon about this book, I thought that I would step away from my usual kind of genre and give it a try, (sometimes, I DO get wild-and-crazy and read other genres than sci-fi/ horror/ stempunk and the works). I so wish I could say I liked it as much, but unfortunately not.

I occasionally read a bit more heavy historical novels, but I’ll normally stick to my comfort zone which is the time period around 10th to 15th century. But this one caught my eye. I think the idea of tarot card, late nineteenth century and the fact that the backdrop is Rennes-les-Bains, which made me think of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, was the reason that I finally gave in, and of course the tagline at the front “This story begins in a city of bones” sort of convinced me.

The writing is easy flowing, the author really takes her time to explore and visualize the different time periods, the present and especially the past. You get this feeling of being there in Paris at the turn of the century, walking in the beautiful landscape around Carcassonne. She explores the different characters, and you get the feeling who they are and where they are coming from. But unfortunately from time to time they do feel a bit shallow and stereotyped.

But what irritates the most is her tendency to over and over again throughout the book use French words, and it is really annoying! Yes, I understand that you can speak French, or if it’s just to set a tone, sorry it doesn't work, quite the opposite!

If you can see pass that, and don’t let it get in the way, the story is fairly interesting, but I suppose I expected more of the story around the tarot cards, and more of, “city of bones”. All and all expected a novel with a bit more bite.

If you want some easy summer reading with a hint of period/ ghost story (light) this is a book for you. It’s not great, it's not entirely a waste of time either, but I will not reread it again, so there you have it.

There so many better books out there, this one just wasn’t my cup of tea.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sepulchre.