Jodotha's Reviews > The Light-Bearer's Daughter

The Light-Bearer's Daughter by O.R. Melling

Oct 23, 09

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult, own, fairies
Read in October, 2009

I very much enjoyed this entry in Melling's Chronicles of Faerie series, though without a romantic interest, I'll admit I didn't love it quite as much as her others. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the romance.
That said, I still adore her take on the Fae of Ireland, and her representation of the little people and their various homes. I LOVE how varied she keeps her cast of characters. Granted, there are a lot of variations on the Fae out there to work with, but so many authors forget that. But not Melling. She makes use of so many, from the most well known to the most obscure.
The particularly unique thing about this book is the environmental aspect. It is quite clear from the beginning that conservation of Ireland's nature will play a big role in the story. And it's beautiful. A wonderful way to demonstrate the power of the land, and its importance to us. And, in a roundabout way, the importance of us to nature. I like that a lot.
One more cool factor: Melling isn't afraid to sprinkle Irish Gaelic liberally into the narrative. And a glossary is always provided in each book. Now I want to learn Gaelic...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light-Bearer's Daughter.