Melissa's Reviews > Slow Twitch

Slow Twitch by Liz Reinhardt

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: nook-books
Read from July 12 to 13, 2012

Wow, what a finish to the Brenna Blixen series! While there were a lot of things I really enjoyed about this book, frankly, there were some things I didn't like, as well, and I'm going to start with the negative. I couldn't bring myself to classify this one as YA (or even YA Mature as it is noted), though I would say the first two books probably did fit into that category. Call me uptight, old-fashioned, a prude, whatever you like, but in my opinion this last book was just too explicit to be categorized as YA or YA Mature. It's been awhile since I read the first two books, but I don't remember them being quite so daring as Slow Twitch -- well, Junk Miles came closer, I guess. (Makes me wish I hadn't read these on my blogging hiatus so I'd have reviews to refer back to.)

I just really wasn't prepared for the content in Slow Twitch. I guess the times are changing, but I don't recall any of the books I was able to get my hands on as a young adult being as explicit as this one was. And I admit I sure got tired of the F-bomb being dropped all over the place. I mean, I do remember that once kids/teens learned that word and tried it out, it frequently became a part of their vocabulary, but the use of the word just seemed ridiculously overdone in this book and got tiresome quickly. And yes, it's a self-published book, and there are a few (a very few) typos that spellcheck wouldn't catch, but closer editing would.

Okay, all of that said, I really did enjoy this book. There was a lot to like, despite the things I could have done without. I thought the three main characters really came into their own in Slow Twitch and this was, by far, the most I enjoyed reading about them. Saxon's transformation was most impressive and his point of view was the one I most looked forward to reading. (This book switches between Brenna, Jake, and Saxon telling the story.) He may have been a total screw-up in the past, but we finally see the good in him here. Jake was also more enjoyable to read about this time -- he wasn't quite as pathetic as he was in past books. Sure, by the end, we're back Brenna being his whole world, but he does grow a little bit and maybe finally realizes he does need to live his own life some. Brenna didn't change too terribly much. I did enjoy the introduction of a friend she made while in Dublin -- Evan, a crazy gal from Georgia. Evan's scenes really added a lot to the story and were a refreshing change of pace.

The end was a mixture of happily-ever-after and perhaps a bit of uncertainty for some involved. I suppose it was open enough that Reinhardt could get another book out of this series, but I would prefer for this to be the end. It's not always a bad thing to leave a little to the imagination. Bottom line, if you liked Double Clutch and Junk Miles, I am reasonably sure you are going to enjoy Slow Twitch. Just be prepared for much more explicit content to go along with the fast-paced, gripping storyline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slow Twitch.

07/12/2012