Catfish's Reviews > The Truth Book: Escaping a Childhood of Abuse Among Jehovah's Witnesses

The Truth Book by Joy Castro

Nov 02, 08

Recommended for: anyone with parents
Read in January, 2005, read count: 2

Hits all the food groups: adoption, religion, abuse, suicide, parents.

Despite the 'Childhood of Abuse' part of the title, it's mainly a positive read, and entertaining at times. Joy's now a professor and mother who is so much bigger and better a person than those who raised her. Ultimately, it's her dad's love that opened the door, physically and emotionally, for Joy and her bro to thrive after what they experienced, without blubbering and self-pity.

She doesn't seek to ruin the people of this destructive cult but manages a few kind words about them in spite of some completely awful and traumatic experiences, therefore it doesn't come across as a tell-all by a helpless victim. You can figure out the rest even without having lived it, and without reading 'Hypocrites!' on every page.

btw. . .was the first book on this topic that I read when I left the JWs years ago, it reinforced the path I was on then, that 'out' was the right direction. The title is an inside joke: the JW's official study book for new members from the the 60's to the 80's was called The Truth Book.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth Book.