Irina's Reviews > The Opportunist

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

Nov 04, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 12 to 16, 2012

This book turned out to be so not what I expected.At the beginning I thought that Olivia will get Caleb back and there will be a sweet happy ending, but no. This book affected me so much, it really did, I even started crying (and I rarely cry while reading books).My feelings for Olivia were so different, they changed with each chapter, at first I thought that I will never do something as lousy as she did, but still I couldn't bring myself to hate her, in fact I understand her so well after reading the whole book.I respect the fact that she didn't take as an offense the bad things that people could have told her, because she knew that they were true.I liked that a lot about her.
She loved Caleb (BTW this is one of my favorite names, which made me like this book even more ,if that is possible) and he loved her,still I liked the ending ,it ended the way it should have been, they gave their hearts to each other and they would never forget about that big love they shared.
I liked the writing of this book very much, Tarryn Fisher is a very good author, and even when I only started reading this book I already knew that I would give this book at least 2 stars (even if I didn't like it) just for this awesome writing.

In a sense I'm so far gone, I don't know what to say,” I begin. “I love you so much, and there are so many things that I didn't get to tell you. I was so scared of the way that you loved me, Caleb.” I swipe at a tear that is leaking from my eye and continue. “You changed everything. I was so frightened of losing you that I did everything in my power to drive you away. I thought that if I didn't, eventually you would see that you were wasting your time with me and leave anyway. I miss you. No, not just miss you, my heart aches every day because you're not there. I am so sorry for what I did. All of it. Please, please don't forget me, because the possibility of that hurts more than anything else.
(This is one of the most beautiful confessions I have ever heard. No, it's the best ,it was so beautiful and sad that I actually started crying...)

The fact that Olivia and Caleb loved each other was better than them being together without love .Yes, I mean Leah, well, of course I can't be sure about whether he loves or not, maybe he does, but about what I'm completely sure is the fact that he won't love another woman as much as he loves Olivia.

So, I loved this book very much and I can recommend it to everyone :)

P.S. I just loved Olivia's mother! She always gave Olivia the best advices. The problem is that Olivia didn't quite follow them...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opportunist.

Quotes Irina Liked

Tarryn Fisher
“Go be with your husband ... before he realises that he's still in love with me”
Tarryn Fisher, The Opportunist

07/13/2012
07/15/2012
36.0% "To be honest I don't quite understand Olivia...I mean how could she want to be with Caleb after all he's said, I would rather be angry with him than in love...after what he's said about her sexual orientation, just because she rejected him. Well, I'll rely on the fact that love is blind (for now), I just don't want to make hurried decisions :)"
07/15/2012
71.0% ""I grabbed the doorknob, twisted it and flung it open. The door moved aside like a curtain, revealing a scene that would be embedded on my memory for always. It would change everything. Ruin everything. Break everything.""
07/16/2012
100.0% ""I grabbed the doorknob, twisted it and flung it open. The door moved aside like a curtain, revealing a scene that would be embedded on my memory for always. It would change everything. Ruin everything. Break everything.""
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Irina Thank you! :)

♥Rachel♥ I cried after that confession as well!! I loved this story! I read Dirty Red immediately after and it still haunts me! I can't get this out of my head. Wonderful review Irina. :)